General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winterizing a bike that hasn't been run in 12 years??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:26 AM
BC IAN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winterizing a bike that hasn't been run in 12 years??

so I just picked up a 1990 fxstc, that hasn't been run in twelve years. It has previously been kept in a garage in a warmer climate then mine so the previous owner didnt put much thought beyond oil etc. I think the fluids have not even been changed in that time. there is still gas in the tank, but im sure there is stabalizer in it. I can guarantee it will hit the -40 mark a couple times this winter. It will be stored in my shop, but its still gonna get cold at some point. So my question is - should i get a new battery and fire it up, get the fluids warm and then change everything. should I change all the fluids, gas included then fire it up, then change all the fluids again? Or should I just leave it till spring? I think I really want to get the fluids out and renew them, theres no way they have any viscosity still. I imagine i have some oil seeped past the valves ill have to blow out. Also if I do fire it up should i do so a couple times throughout the winter on the warmer days?
Thanks for all the help.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM
glennt7
Advanced

IMO

If youu can change out the fluids and old gas claen the carb and get it running it would be best. Then you can add fuel stabilzer and store. If it gets down to 40 below ( i know what that is like being from NB CA ) you won't be able to start it until it warms up you will burn out the starter trying, just wait till spring. If you accomplish the above it start fine inn the spring.

On the other hand if you don't want to do all the above before winter I see no problem letting it sit untill spring as it has sat for 10 years allready. You will no doubt have to clean the carb and fluids and tune up for sure.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 310 Likes on 180 Posts

I'd flush out the gas and, and inspect the tank and lines before refilling. Plan on cleaning the carbs and a new fuel filter as well.
Pull the plugs and put a little Marvels mystery oil in the cylinders, turn it over a few times with the plugs out.
I'd flush and replace the brake fluid. Get a new Air filter. Check the tires (probably replace them).
Check the oil, If it looks dirty or milky (or any other signs of moisture, rust or bottom of cap looks milky) change it. Then run up to temp and change it again. (I'd do the filter too just as cheap insurance).

Always change fluids before storage, not after. Oil doesn't loose viscosity over time, the reason to change it is to remove contaminants. Store it with clean oil, if your going to start it in the winter make sure it gets up to operating temperature so any moisture will boil off.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Sounds like a good winter project to me...
12 years? and the bike sat all that time?
I'd be thinking along the lines of "piasspj" I'd be flushing brake fluids, checking every piece of rubber on the bike. I wouldn't bother looking at the tires, the new one would be on the way to my door, already. There's no way I'd use the gas that's in the tank, for anything, exceot weed killing... it's pretty much junk.. You're biggest worry will be the carb... I'd buy p rebuild kit, and a manual, and get it back into showroom condition.
Oil and filters are cheap....flush out the old, in with the new, and after the carn is rebuilt, and the fuel system is cleaned... try to start the bike....if it starts, then after it's gotten warm.... time for another oil change

Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
LngRidr
Intermediate

i would imagine since it has not been ran in 12 years winterizing would be the least of your concerns.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM
BC IAN
6th Gear

aside from sitting that long the bike is in pristine shape. Well cared for and looked after. It may not have been twelve years but it has been a looong time. It has a new ( at the time ) carb, so i think a cleaning and draining would suffice. New tires for sure. Thanks for the help. Its defianetly gonna get some attention in the next couple weeks. keep the ideas coming!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
lakeman
Tourer

What Scootch said, all seals may be dried out. I would bet that there will be fuel tank and carb issues. Something you can do over the winter months.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drain the gas. Change all the fluids---I mean all. Mist the top end and spin over a few times without spark plugs in. New plugs with antisieze on threads and torque to specs. You would be surprised at how many people over tighten spark plugs with just a wrench. New battery. New tires. Check the brakes after bleeding from changing out the brake fluid. I do not get strange fluids on my paint including so called safe brake fluid. Flush clean gas through the carb and tank. Inspect the bike from one end to the other. Check that the bike feels right and tight. Start bike---if it runs right-------ride it. I live in South Texas---winterize means a coat----not storing our bikes.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:43 AM
aliass
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thread . i store my bike in a shed thats a little damp due to haveing a couragated steel roof so i wash it well not even a dead fly on it cos them bastards eat chrome (i learned this the hard way ). then i spray it all over with gun oil and put a old bed sheet over it to keep off dust . i take out the battrie and leave that in the house (frost is hard on battries )and give that a trickel charge once a month over night .
when the season starts agin i just wipe off the oil with rags stick in the battrie and pump the tires if needed .

Last edited by aliass; 09-14-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: frost
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by BC IAN
aside from sitting that long the bike is in pristine shape. Well cared for and looked after. It may not have been twelve years but it has been a looong time. It has a new ( at the time ) carb, so i think a cleaning and draining would suffice. New tires for sure. Thanks for the help. Its defianetly gonna get some attention in the next couple weeks. keep the ideas coming!
It's a 20 year old bike... that hasn't been run in a long time... or 12 years.

You live in a cold climate

I'd be getting a shop manual, and a good jack. and that bike would be getting stripped down to the frame.

If there's still a chance of "good weather" I could understand draining the fuel tank (replace the fuel filter if you can) getting new tires, and riding it a bit now.

I'd be concerned that every gasket,seal, and hose will leak or blow out.... but that's just me.

Once winter settles in, and you have those -40 degree days, it'll be too cold the strip the bike. The sooner you strip it down. The sooner you can order the parts you need. The sooner you get the parts, the sooner you can have the bike together.

I don't doubt the bike is "pristine" on the surface.... it's what is underneath, thatconcerns me.

Quick Reply: winterizing a bike that hasn't been run in 12 years??