General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed.... Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crashed.... Need some advice

Well last Sunday I hit a deer while on the way home from IA to TN on my 2009 Electra Glide Standard. I was transported by EMS to the hospital. Seperated shoulder and broken finger (thank you god, fox creek, and fulmer....) The bike is pretty messed up, it is in the tow in lot in Missourri. I healed up as best as I could and hopped a plane back to TN. I have Farm Bureau insurance and have a copule of questions.

1. I spoke with my agent this morning and gave him all of the information, pictures, etc I had. He called the claim number and I spoke with them. After the call, my agent told me that all of my add ons were not covered, only the original bike. Does this seem right to yall?
I had Vance and Hines blackout rounds, PCV, SEAC, plus a bunch of other things. Also is my damaged riding gear covered? What about my tools, etc that were lost in the crash (saddle bags broke open and scattered my belongings all over.)

2. The adjuster called me and asked me if I wanted the bike fixed where it was or back in TN. I said TN then they said it would my responsibility to get the bike back here. I told them to fix it there then. They said they would have to assign another company to appraise the bike. (Crawford?) Then they called back and asked me if I could meet them where the bike was. I told them NO the bike is in northern Missourri and I am in Tennessee. They had a problem with that and are suppossed to call me back. Does this seem right? I told them to take the bike to a Harley dealership and get an estimate.

I guess I am just frustrated by the whole process and sore from the crash and just basically having a bad day. Any advice you can give is appreciated. This is my first crash and first claim with Farm Bureau since I became a cstomer in 2002.

Thanks for your help....

Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

I purchased a additional 5000 in insurance for my add ons because I was told they did not cover those items. I would think a Insurance adjuster could look at the bike with out you being present. Glad you survived it. Good call on telling them to take it to a Dealer for a estimate.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What does your policy say? read it. Insurance companies do routinely lie or get it wrong.

In my life, I have had to be paid by my insurance company 3 times (renter's insurance, HMO and shipping insurance through UPS), other than routine doctor visits. Every time, they denied the claim. Every time, they clearly were required to pay. Every time, I got more than my original claim when they settled the lawsuit. never took me more than a month to get paid, but I don't have to hire a lawyer, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited by brenn; 09-08-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:09 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe most aftermarket items are not routinely covered by your policy unless you purchase a separate rider policy (not "motorcyle rider").

As stated above, read your policy. Companies have latittude where they can get the biker repaired and whether their parts must be OEM or can be aftermarket.

A good lesson here for all of us: read your policy and fix anything that you don't like about it!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree as much of a pain as it might be....read your policy. Contact your ins. agent and speak with them about it.

State farm covers "everything" on mine. It is true most will use the least expensive replacement part they can find. It is your right to debate that those. It never hurts to challenge them. Like any other business they will attempt to spend the least amount of money possible.

BTW, glad you walked away with what little boo-boos you got.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

state farm is one of the best -

after that, many companies will only include additional stuff up to a limited amount, after that you have to pay more. so like the first 1000 in accesories are covered. any accesories past the 1000 mark are not covered unless specifically requested.

other companies only cover the original bike. no accesories. they would require additional stuff.

the riding clothes most probably will not be covered. a helmet might be. riding clothes have other uses and so are not covered. a helmet is motorcycle specific.

other belongings would not be covered by the motorcycle insurance, but might be covered under your homeowners as property damage.

yes it is normal to not pay for additional transporation charges for you motorcycle. if you are a hog member you might could get a discount.

another issue with some companies is that even though they have motorcycle insurance, they usually don't have adjusters who know the cost of things on a motorcycle. part of the reason they farm out the adjustment part.

glad you were okay - more or less

good luck

Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
icewater103
Road Captain
Default Insurance Commisioner

Sorry to hear about your trouble. As the posts above said learn what your policy covers. If they keep jerking your chain and making life difficult; an inexpensive way to motivate them is to find the number to the state insurance commisioner for your state and the state where you had the accident. Advise the first human that you get to speak with that your patience is about shot and you are going to have these two individuals look into your complaints. No promises, but the last time I had issues with insurance life got easier and fair after doing this.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ropin4gold
Well last Sunday I hit a deer while on the way home from IA to TN on my 2009 Electra Glide Standard. I was transported by EMS to the hospital. Seperated shoulder and broken finger (thank you god, fox creek, and fulmer....) The bike is pretty messed up, it is in the tow in lot in Missourri. I healed up as best as I could and hopped a plane back to TN. I have Farm Bureau insurance and have a copule of questions.

1. I spoke with my agent this morning and gave him all of the information, pictures, etc I had. He called the claim number and I spoke with them. After the call, my agent told me that all of my add ons were not covered, only the original bike. Does this seem right to yall?
I had Vance and Hines blackout rounds, PCV, SEAC, plus a bunch of other things. Also is my damaged riding gear covered? What about my tools, etc that were lost in the crash (saddle bags broke open and scattered my belongings all over.)
2. The adjuster called me and asked me if I wanted the bike fixed where it was or back in TN. I said TN then they said it would my responsibility to get the bike back here. I told them to fix it there then. They said they would have to assign another company to appraise the bike. (Crawford?) Then they called back and asked me if I could meet them where the bike was. I told them NO the bike is in northern Missourri and I am in Tennessee. They had a problem with that and are suppossed to call me back. Does this seem right? I told them to take the bike to a Harley dealership and get an estimate.

I guess I am just frustrated by the whole process and sore from the crash and just basically having a bad day. Any advice you can give is appreciated. This is my first crash and first claim with Farm Bureau since I became a cstomer in 2002.

Thanks for your help....
Well your first mistake was buyin farm bureau ins. I got screwed by them once. They tried again but backed down when i mentioned court. Usually you need a separate policy for add ons but that varies by company. Go with state farm. they are awesome!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and get well soon!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM
rentalguy1
Banned

I have Farm Bureau on the trucks and our houses, but not on the bike. Matter of fact, I didn't even know they did bike policies. I've never had a claim with them, though. I do know that Safeco (who my MC insurance is with) covers accessories up to $5,000. I had to fill out a form listing all the add-ons for them. Good luck, and glad you are healing up.

Quick Reply: Crashed.... Need some advice