General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone sold their bike lately???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 AM
logdon17
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone sold their bike lately???

So I am thinking about getting a new bike but I will need to sell my current bike to make it happen. The last thing I want to do is have an HD dealer give me next to nothing on a trade in. I would like to get a pulse on the used bike market and was wondering if anyone has sold their bike privately in the last 6 months. If you have, please mention how long your bike was on the market and how close to your asking price you got.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:58 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay is a pretty good place to monitor the sale of Harleys. Even though I'm not looking to buy, I look at what's listed and how many do and don't sell. As anyone would expect, there are a lot fewer sold than not.

The more specialized or unique you make your scoot, the fewer people are interested and more difficult to sell. On the other-hand, that's what make Harley motorcycles a better choice, because a lot of the accessories are interchangeable.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

It is my opinion that it is a buyer's market and you will likely be disappointed at what you are offered for your bike. I couldn't sell my wife's bike after several attempts and lowering the price every time. I ended up trading it in. I think I got a fair deal, so don't rule out shopping dealers to see what they offer. I found that trade in values vary wildly, but perseverence pays off.

Shakey

Old 10-11-2010, 06:03 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

search ebay "completed listings" - this will give you a decent idea on what they are going for (not much). If you are one of the few sellers who is realistic about value, you should be able to sell it - and regardless it'll be more than trade in.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:20 AM
1shaka
Cruiser
Default bike sale

Mine was a year ago and I wanted $4200 but took $4000. Sold it on Craig's list within 2 weeks.. Previously had listed it on some motorcycle sites to no avail.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Better hurry though. As the riding season, well at least the best riding season, comes closer to the end, it'll get harder each day to get it sold. Unless your offering a super deal, then you might as well trade it in and get the tax advantage

Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Just sold my Fatboy on Chopper Exchange, fixed advert price till its sold, you can as many pics as you want and edit the advert if required.
In the first week over 1000 people had viewed my advert, found a buyer in 3 weeks.
As I am in the UK deal took a little longer to go through so left advert in place, in 5 weeks over 3000 viewing of my ad, to me that is great exposure.
Chopper Exchange website loads very fast, to me that is a key feature
If I need to sell a bike again this is where I will do it.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 AM
32vld
Road Master

Unfortunately people have learned that values of what a dealer will pay for trade in on the net.

So they refuse to pay more then that especially when with a private sale they don't even get a warranty.

Same way with cars.

So they don't get it cheap they pass on. Then the original owner all of a sudden accepts the dealers offer because they dont' have anymore time to wait to get top dollar because it's put up and get the new bike or walk away.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 AM
humbuster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I predict pain, much pain.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on how you price it. Dealer offered me 10k period. Sold it on Craigslist for $14,500 in literally 5 minutes. 07 RKC. Keep in mind this was March (just prior to the ride season as opposed to the end of the ride season.) I think I sold it for a price that the market would bear. If I would have been much more, it would have probably sat.

Quick Reply: Anyone sold their bike lately???