General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw gas out exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 PM
MGN54
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Raw gas out exhaust:UPDATE

Was going for a short after lunch ride. Pulled bike out and no start...WTF? She's never not started. Could smell raw gas. Thought maybe the petcock was leaking. Nothing there to report. Tried starting a couple of more times. No start. Then noticed raw gas dripping out the exhaust!

I usually don't shut petcock off and have never had a problem. Pulled air cleaner and all looked well in there. Tried starting again and if cracking the throttle a bit she would fire up. Blowed some black smoke when throttle applied and finally stopped that but won't idle unless I roll the throttle back a bit. Figure a fouled plug at this point but both headers were getting hot as I kept her running. So, what the hell is this all about? First time I've had a problem with her. Gonna let her cool down and pull the plugs and check them.

Bike is a 2001 Night Train.

TIA

Last edited by MGN54; 10-21-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM
PktChg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it rough idle? Could be a broken wire or electrode.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:32 PM
MGN54
Tourer

No, it sounded pretty normal on idle with me cracking the throttle open just a bit to keep her running. She was running great when I parked her after ride with my wife on Saturday.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

im takeing a guess but i think its a stuck float in the carb.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM
MGN54
Tourer

the blob,

I thought about that too....any reason the float would stick out of no where?

Also, could the raw gas out the exhaust be from trying to get her cranked with full choke on? She's cooled down enough now. Gonna pull the plugs and see how they look. Will report back.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Old 10-19-2010, 03:46 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're lucky you haven't had this problem before. There is a reason there is an off position on the petcock. If raw gas came out the exhaust you'd better change the oil cause fuel leaked past the rings and into your crankcase. Shut the petcock off. It might have been a stuck float but either way that kind of stuff happens when you allow fuel to the carb when not in use.

Last edited by scootertramp; 10-19-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
cornishman
Road Master

Sounds like a sticking float , it can only take a very small piece of crap to occur.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:26 PM
MGN54
Tourer

Took the plugs out and they were very sooty black so picked up some new plugs. Will for sure change the oil and filter and start fresh with both. Good project for my Thursday off! And yes, I do need to get in the habit of shutting the fuel off!! This will hopefully help me to remember. Will report back as to how she does after these things are tended to Thursday.

Scootertramp.....As for oil, is it ok to go with synthetic I intend to run in it or should I use some dino oil for a few hundred miles to flush things out first?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the responses. If anyone else has an idea here, send it on!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
MGN54
Tourer

Scootertramp...just thought of something else. Could this be a sign that the vacuum valve isn't working or maybe has a leak in the diaphragm? I guess that even if it did, the needle should shut the fuel down, right?

Old 10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

There isn't an overflow if the float sticks? The CV carbs I've worked with do. The extra gas goes right out this tube and onto the road below. With no throttle the fuel wouldn't go through the jets would it?

Quick Reply: Raw gas out exhaust