General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Paint!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:57 PM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMbagger
Abi is the man when it comes to custom paint. I might get him to shoot my Busa.

Thanks GM. Have you found a Busa yet? I'm kinda looking for another one as a winter project.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crash69
harley davidson here in south florida has custom paint displays, pretty nice paint jobs. I saved a business card for his website www.ospaint.com
thanks for the link!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 PM
motordog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many would be happy to help. I would. But you need some source of inspiration to begin with.

Think about a theme. There are many angles to this. What do you like? Vintage cars, guitars, rugby? Or even an event or special memory to commemorate. You don't need to be detailed on the bike. But something to provide inspiration. A special event in you life can be captured in style and color, nothing more specific.

But it is best to start with something. For example, my next bike, I will be trying to capture a classic muscle car sort of look with the paint.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM
walleyeking48
Advanced

Originally Posted by abi
Here are some of mine. Take a look and get some ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=4a89293af9

I love the orange and black street glide... What color or orange is that? It looks sick with the black.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 AM
walleyeking48
Advanced

Thank you for all of your replies.. I like to ice fish. I don't think that is a good "theme" on the bike... I was thinking of putting my kids initals on the bike... AJ... I don't know if that would be too customized when I go to sell though... I also like sports ( softball, football, hockey) but again I don't think that would be good on a bike either.. Oh wait.. I really like naked chics... Think I could get that past the wife?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
flagirl
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm working on getting my bike custom painted. First I decided on a theme - butterflies, the color pink, feminine details and bling.

Next, I searched around on the net and in person for someone to do the work and also asked my local harley dealer. I checked out galleries of all the shops I could find to see if their style matched what I wanted. When I found a place that I felt could really carry out the look and feel I wanted, I contacted them.

If you find an artist whose style you really like, talk to them. See if they'll create some mock up sketches based on a few ideas you give them. They can build on some general adjectives (like aggressive, high-tech, etc), and expand some basic thoughts you have.

One last thing, who cares what "looks good" on a bike? It's YOUR bike, only YOU have to like it, screw everyone else (except maybe your wife, want to keep the peace at home ).

Oh, and if you're worried about the custom paint job when you go to sell it, then don't get the custom paint job or don't worry about it when you sell it. Don't mean to sound like a bitch, just my 2 cents.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 AM
oggandhi
4th Gear
Default Stabilo pencil

Take this wax pencil and start drawing on the bike.You can wipe it off with degreaser.I do this all the time.Just take your time and stare at the bike.It will tell you what to do.Seriously that is what other painters and I do.Pics of my latest bike are posted It took first at ratshole for harley custom.You can even use pactra waterbase paints and wash them off.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

What ever you decide on i would stay away from anything to personal,like a mural,makes the bike a lot harder to sell when the time comes.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:09 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default being subtle can go a long way

Going with subtle graphic or texture could be very cool depending on how much you want to spend or how good your painter is. Think maybe orange smoke, or orange snake skin ghosted on (which could then be carried to a badass custom seat in the future). Or if you want to go for a bolder look you could use black/white checkered pattern either as inlays, angles or a flowing ribbon with color accents. Pinstripes are always a very cool option too for something simpler.
Though probably your best bet is just to pick a painter you like/trust and brainstorm with him. Usually going to get the best result when you throw out a couple of your likes/dislikes and go from there with a guy who already knows what he can can't do well. Just some more ideas for you to roll around. Good luck. Hope you put some pictures up when/if you get the work done.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:01 AM
abi
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by walleyeking48
I love the orange and black street glide... What color or orange is that? It looks sick with the black.
The orange is called Tangerine Pearlcoat, it's a factory Chrysler color. The PPG number is 5954. And I sprayed it over a white base to make it brighter.

Quick Reply: Custom Paint!!