General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding out of Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 07:17 PM
MarkM
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding out of Vegas?

My gf and I are planning to fly to Las Vegas in August, and of course we want to rent a couple bikes do some riding out there. Never been out west, and don't know where anything is yet. My question: Are there day trips we can do on the bike from Las Vegas? This would be the preferred method, since we could just camp out at the hotel all week. We want to do about 3 days of riding while we're out there.
Or, should we just pack up the bikes for a couple nights, and come back to Las Vegas to fly home?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 06-23-2011, 07:49 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to discourage you at all, and yes there are some nice day trips based out of 'Vegas, but did you know it can reach 120 degrees here in August....?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

But it's a dry heat. I remember once when it was 101 at midnight in Vegas. You might want to reschedule for October, November or some other cooler month. Heat your oven to 120 and put your head in it with a helmet on for a couple hours and then decide if you want to be on a bike or in an air conditioned rental.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if it were me, I'd go up to Mt Charleston.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM
robo74
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I did this a few years back in Sept. This was the best time we ever had in vegas. The Dealer you rent from will have all sorts of maps and trip info available when you pick up the bikes. One evening, when the its dark and the city is all bright, ride down the main strip.... its the best sight!
Have fun!

Rob

Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we rented Harleys when I was out there last June, and we have two reserved for Sept. this year. Last year we saddled up in June when it was 113 and ran out to Hoover Dam and hung out and then hit the strip. It was hot, but the Vegas 113 doesnt bother me as much as the 93 here in Ohio that is so humid you can bucket the air.

This year on a recommendation we are going to Mt. Charleston. Apparently once you get to Mt. C its 20 to 30 degrees cooler. Thers a bar and restaurant up there as well. Then as was already said, you just have to ride the strip at night.

We rent our bikes from dreamrentals, right across from Aria, and NYNY. That area. Real nice to deal with.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you check out my buddies website, http://www.ridesincity.com/

On the right side he lists a bunch of rides we've done with maps and distances.

In August it is incredibly effin HOT here. Plan accordingly, and hydrate! Drink water often on any ride. I recommend long sleeve white t-shirts, for the UV protection and they reflect much of the heat. Use sun block.

It is still over 100 here right now, and it's 9pm. Also August is in the monsoon season here. No joke. I know it's the desert but we get storms here that time of the year, they come up from the Southeast out of Arizona and can be a problem, so watch the forecast.

All that said, it can be a lot of fun straddling a 240 degree air cooled v-twin when it's 110 in the shade and there's no shade -- IF you're crazy! And we're all crazy!

Be safe!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:07 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

One thing I have learned about riding out here is that a long sleeve WHITE shirt will be cooler than a short sleeve one. 115* will absolutely bake your arms uncovered. A trip thru Zion, Bryce Canyon, and back thru the Grand Canyon would be an awesome 2 day ride. So much to see and you can take your time and lots of pics.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

I was in Vegas yesterday, and it was 100d. Riding in that heat is extremely difficult and dangerous IMHO. Riding with bare arms in that heat will actually make one feel hotter.

The above being said there are some good rides. If not already mentioned I would ride to Death Valley through Parumph as a longish day trip.

I was in Vegas in August in 2009 and used a hydration vest beneath my Harley FXRG perforated leather jacket and this worked out very well keeping me cool. Drink 1/2 liter of water (at least) at every gas stop.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

One of my most favorite spots anywhere in the west is Marble Canyon. Riding from the east going west, you ride down into the canyon and end up on a bridge over the river about 150' up. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had on the bike, and I've done it twice.

Quick Reply: Riding out of Vegas?