General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding out of Vegas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Califonia Bagger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are flexible, let's use logic. Bikefest in Vegas is Sept 28th and it should be awesome. I am going to Reno for street vibrations, another big rally the week before and then riding down to Brice Canyon and Zion and then into Vegas for the rally. We should get a group to meet in Zion a couple days prior to bikefest in Las Vegas. Now going to that pit called sin city makes some sence.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:42 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 Also Lake Mead has awesome riding. If the weather isn't too hot (I know it's August but you never know), Death Valley. Also, Valley of Fire. Oatman is a unique little cowboy town a few blocks long, with mules walking loose on the street and into the shops. If you go there, ride the road between Kingman and Oatman, its a nice mountain road.

Valley of Fire

Originally Posted by desertrideryz
Hoover dam,oatman,az,redrock national park,

Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll really like Sept or Oct better. Like about 100 times better. Good choice. And if you do go up to the higher elevations you can always layer up. Not you can do about 120 degree stuff.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Califonia Bagger
Yes. 10 of us rode out to lake mead and along the lake to St George Utah. From there take the 9 through Zion and up into Brice canyon. 2 days 1 overnight. You will never forget it. I promise. My profile pic is us in Zion.
been meaning to go to zion. sucks to live this close and never been there

Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Califonia Bagger
Cruiser

I talked about it for years. I waited too long. It is awesome..

Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
lviguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stays hotter than heck till after 9/15. Then it gets real nice for about 2 months.

Did Oatman AZ yesterday, low 100's. Heat was manageable, HD cool vest helped (went through 2 of them on the return trip).

Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM
MarkM
Tourer

Update: Took everyone's advice and held off til September for this trip. Arriving in Vegas on 9/12 (we were going to fly out on 9/11 but thought better of that), staying at the Mirage for 5 nights. Picking up 2 bikes on 9/13 to do some local riding, then heading up through Zion and Bryce Canyon the next day and staying in Panguitch, UT for the night. Take the scenic route back to Vegas on the 15th, drop the bikes off on the 16th. Head for home the next day. I will have a new Gopro on the bike to record the adventure. From what everyone has told me, I will end up thinking this trip was too short. That's ok; we can come back next year!

Old 08-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll most definitely enjoy the trip to Zion/Bryce! It's a blast...

Only thing I'd recommend against, is taking a ride down past Kingman. The highway between Kingman and Phoenix (US93) is a death trap. It's narrow and the attitudes of some of the people driving their cages north to Vegas makes me wonder if somehow the slot machines were sending out subliminal messages to them to drive faster.

With respect to the heat, very definitely dress for uber hot and dry conditions. Plan to carry extra water if possible (during the heat of the summer I almost always ride with a Camelbak bag) and make periodic rest stops.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM
MarkM
Tourer

We are planning on taking I-15 out of Las Vegas up to Zion. But I was looking on a map at Hwy. 167/169/Northshore Rd. which runs along Lake Mead. Anybody know if this road is a better/more scenic alternative than I-15?

Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

More scenic but not worth going out of your way for the short distance.

Quick Reply: Riding out of Vegas?