General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Operated Heated Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Battery Operated Heated Gear?

I joined the Patriot Guard and am trying to figure out a way to continue doing missions even as it gets colder up here in Northern Illinois.

I've been looking at Harley's Heated Gear (Made by Gerbing I think).

For gloves, they make battery operated, and also, the kind that you just plug into the bikes electrical system. The battery version is 7-volts and the plug-in type are 12-volts. I would like to go with the battery operated so that I could still use them while standing in a Flag Line while I'm away from the bike. I'm sure the gloves would be warm enough standing still, but I wonder if they would be able to keep up while riding the bike to the mission on a cold windy day, (I've got a windshield, but not a Fairing).

Can anyone comment on how well the battery operated gloves do while riding the bike? I realize that if I go with the battery type of gloves, I'll probably have to buy a couple extra batteries. I think the batteries are only supposed to last about two hours on High.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 AM
10ring
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the gloves as a Gerbing product, as it will come with a lifetime warranty: If purchased as HD brand, it does not.
My wife has both the battery and the direct wired gloves. The latter are much warmer. The battery operated ones do work well, though. Most people won't keep them cranked up for two hours straight: the wife starts out with them on high and then lowers the setting after about one-half hour. She gets 4-5 hours out of one battery charge.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an older set from HD and at the tip of the middle finger the wire ran accross the finger and left a blister. Trust me I massaged that glove trying to get that wire to move down or something, but no luck so I called Gerbing and the sent me a new one. No Charge. Worked well.