General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First bike was a Dyna cuz thats what I wanted. No problems. Lots of fun.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Doug Bromley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say just go for it. My first bike is a 2010 Wide Glide I praticed in parking lots and rode with my dad the first few times hes been ridding 40 years so he kinda tested me out lol. He had me follow him to see if I could do what he did. After the third time out he cant keep up with me lol. He said our ridding style is a little differant. I said ya I am always having to slow down and wait for you lol. He has a 04 sporty with lots of mods and we switched and he still cant keep up with me on my glide. 7 months and only problem is people pulling in front of me and trying to change lanes with out looking and almost running me off the road. Part of ridding people just dont see bikes and dont care and will kill you if you let them.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, if that's what you want. Maybe start with a used, but fairly new, 883.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Hammer2284
Intermediate

Don't waste your money on a metric when your going to buy a harley down the road!! They both get wrecked if you drop them and insurance covers cost anyways!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

Yes! buy the one you like. It's that easy.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:32 PM
rmatt34
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammer2284
Don't waste your money on a metric when your going to buy a harley down the road!! They both get wrecked if you drop them and insurance covers cost anyways!!!
you stop making sense right now !!!

Yeah, let's everyone else tell em to buy a sportster because the high seat height and super high center of gravity make them really easy to ride...

Just about any Big Twin is easier to ride ( IMO )

Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by NVP
If so, which one?

Thanks for any input.
Sure why not?? How old are you? What type of riding you plan on doing?? You want to go real fast, or you want to relax & be comfortable???

Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

"Get a Honda 250cc rebel to learn on. Decent used ones can be had for around $1,000. After a few months you'll be ready for the big time."

"Bought a nice badass DynaGlide Custom as my first bike ever. Had to have a friend ride it home from the dealer. Took it into a parking lot and rode it for 30 minutes or so, then head out on the backroads around the neighborhood. No problems!"

From what I too gathered it seems you will hear both sides of the spectrum. The hard part is that its going to come down to you and your style of learning and doing things.

Had I done the first I probably would have quit riding. 250cc piece o S#$t. Like the second person I bought the bike I always wanted, Softail Deluxe and also had it driven home. After the 3rd day of practice I was riding an hour and twenty to work and in rush hour. On weekends I take the long way and have never been happier. I even had a moment where I considered that maybe a Road King should have been the option but now have settled down and realized I have MY perfect bike.
At the same time I know folks who in the same couple of months are still not comfortable with the bigger Harley. Thats not bad by the way its just different. We all take things at different levels and thats OK. If its all a process and your style is such, it really makes sense to work your way up. If your like me though and you learn well on things you have a passion for and you need to be at the end more than the process than go for it because your nature will make you learn it to be where you want to be.
Only you will know which feels better.
I will add that I would have driven my bike home had I not been so scared from all the talk about too much power etc. The first morning I rode my bike out it felt a 100! times better than the Honda Rebel in the MSF class or the Buells. I instantly fit and feel its way easier to ride. WAY EASIER!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:48 PM
mwswarrior
Cruiser

I went with a new Fat Bob for my first road bike. Had ridden dirt bikes a bit so it wasn't too much of a stretch. Love my Bob and would do it again. Have enjoyed learning to ride better on it over the past few years. When I was looking, I had several folks steer me away from a sporty because I'm a big guy, 6'3" 230. I'm glad I went a little bigger.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:54 PM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GeezerDude
yes I would, whichever one you like and can afford
+1.

My first ride was an Ultra, and I've never looked back.

Bill

Quick Reply: Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?