General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

yes. follow the suggestions that have already been made.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

I taught myself on a Kawasaki KZ440 that I picked up for $500. It ran on one cylinder most of the time, leaked gas and had no baffles in the pipes. Sold it, took Riders Edge, rode the Blasts they had, and signed the paperwork for a 98 1200 Custom they had on the showroom floor. It'll only go as fast as you make it, and so long as you're comfortable picking it up, backing it up and stuff like that, I see no reason not to get one. It did take me a few days to get used to forward controls and the steering/handling feel, but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
delane
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeezerDude
yes I would, whichever one you like and can afford

Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You realize OP left us after posting.......apparently we are a bunch of Harley riders trying to tell ourselves whether we should or should not make Harley our first bike.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
woodybear
Cruiser

I'm 61 and bought a 2010 Sportster 1200 Custom in July, the last time I rode was in 1967. I haven't had any problems at all, I'm 6-'2" and 170lbs.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:15 AM
SilveradoTX
1st Gear

Allow me to jump in... Don't mean to thread jack or anything.

I've done a lot of research on this very subject for well over a year. I've been on HDForum and others more than a few times looking for what Harley is a good first bike and basically wound up seeing the same thing that's going on here.

I currently ride an '03 Blast and did the MSF Safety Course last summer (HIGHLY recommend it), bought the Blast this summer and I've spent a lot of time in empty lots practicing, low speed maneuvers and quick stops, etc. I've also done a trip that totaled over 7 hours, and use my bike to commute with when I can. My question quickly became what Harley would make a good second bike. I've ridden a Nightster (the only HD I've ridden) and liked it, didn't hurt that I like the look. However, I'm going to need something that I can ride to school and work, as well as weekend runs and the occasional long trip, and carry a passenger. I started looking at the Dyna family and very quickly expanded my options. I like the Super Glide, Low Rider and the Street Bob. I have sat on them and like the feel, I just haven't been able to ride any of them to see what I think.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Old 11-14-2010, 01:06 AM
jstew
Cruiser

After the MSF course, required for license in FL, a buddy let me borrow his Superglide for a few days. Loved it, and decided Harley was going to be my first bike. Had my heart set on either a Dyna Lowrider or a 1200 Low, but for the price of a used one of those, I could get a new 883 Superlow for the same or less, so I decided to go with the new one. Three weeks later, I already have 850 miles on it and I'm thinking about scheduling my 1k service before my first month is up.

I'm still weak on cornering, and I have to remind myself that everyone else is out to kill me, but that would be the same no matter what bike I was riding. Eventually someone does something stupid and I remember to watch more carefully.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

would get something a little smaller, lighter and used like the Honda Shadow but you could learn on a used Softtail too. To me anyway Harleys are a heavyweight that takes a little more care in riding but if you take a safety course and start out slow you could do it don't have to be burly to ride HD drunks, old dudes, and ladies ride them.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
You realize OP left us after posting.......apparently we are a bunch of Harley riders trying to tell ourselves whether we should or should not make Harley our first bike.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Judgeing from this thread and the OP's other thread, I'd say he/she/it is doing market research for a company or bike manufacturer...doesn't seem to be a real person there.

Aside from that, good stories and advice.

Quick Reply: Would you recommend a Harley for my first bike?