General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual source heated vest

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Turns out I'm the one that's missing something. You are correct. The 3-setting controller works with the bike battery harness, so I could have saved myself $60. The "**** controller" is heavier guage wires and seems to be a little more robust than the controller that came with the vest, so I guess now I will have a spare controller. I tested both controllers out by connecting them up to the vest and the bike battery harness and all systems seem to work fine. As for the portable battery, I did receive a "new" battery recently (although it looks suspiciously like the same one I returned), but guess what ... it still doesn't work with the vest or either of the controllers. Like my tag-line says, I'm not a complete idiot, but this vest/battery thing sure is making me feel like one.......
That sucks about the vest portable battery. I have the same vest and have only used it on the bike connected to the bike battery. The vest gets hot on high! I was thinking of getting the portable battery but after hearing all the problems you and others have had, I think I'll pass.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
That sucks about the vest portable battery. I have the same vest and have only used it on the bike connected to the bike battery. The vest gets hot on high! I was thinking of getting the portable battery but after hearing all the problems you and others have had, I think I'll pass.
I've decided to take a slightly different approach to solving my problem. I contacted Gerbings directly to see if they can help me figure this out. The vest works fine when connected to the bike battery, so I will probably never use the portable battery, but since I have it and I know it doesn't work ....... it's driving me KUH-RAY-ZEE!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Default I'm hot, but not bothered (any more)

Since I sort of hi-jacked this thread, I thought I might as well go all the way and finish my story. After obtaining a THIRD battery for my dual-source heated vest, and after some expert hand-holding provided by Gerbing's, I am now cozy warm in my dual-source heated vest with working portable battery. It seems unusual that I would have gotten two, count 'em two, defective batteries, but that appears to be exactly what happened in my case. My apologies to the OP for my ranting and raving, and thanks for letting me borrow your thread to let off some steam. Anyway, bring on the chilly weather 'cause I gotta test this thing out on an actual ride.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:29 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
Since I sort of hi-jacked this thread, I thought I might as well go all the way and finish my story. After obtaining a THIRD battery for my dual-source heated vest, and after some expert hand-holding provided by Gerbing's, I am now cozy warm in my dual-source heated vest with working portable battery. It seems unusual that I would have gotten two, count 'em two, defective batteries, but that appears to be exactly what happened in my case. My apologies to the OP for my ranting and raving, and thanks for letting me borrow your thread to let off some steam. Anyway, bring on the chilly weather 'cause I gotta test this thing out on an actual ride.
What did Gerbing do to fix the problem? Is there a new batter design/replacement? I really like the vest, but am leery of buying the battery due to so many complaints about it not working.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

I don't got have even single heated vest....

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
What did Gerbing do to fix the problem? Is there a new batter design/replacement? I really like the vest, but am leery of buying the battery due to so many complaints about it not working.
Gerbing's just walked me thru the process of testing the battery. Had me connect it directly to the vest without the controller to see if the battery or the controller was the problem. They were very helpful but I only contacted them for information so I wasn't expecting Gerbing's to replace or repair anything. The technology for these vests has changed recently (from old style wiring to micro-wire) and the battery packs have been changed/upgraded as a result. It appears that the wiring connections have changed also, from battery tender type wiring to coax connections, so there are a lot of changes going on that could potentially cause issues. I have no idea if all this is going from better-to-worse or vice-versa. This is my first experience with heated apparel so I don't have any clue what's good, fair or unacceptable performance. I just know that my vest works now and I'm happy about that.