General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's wearing High visibility vests

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who's wearing High visibility vests

Anyone (besides you military guys) wear a high visibility vest when you ride. If so do you feel it helps? How high is the "Dick" factor, as in do you feel like a dick wearing the vest. I'm thinking about picking up the Harley Davidson vest. Saw a guy riding the other day and it seems OK to me. When I was younger I wouldn't have given this **** a second thought but with all the terds on cell phones and texting I'm starting to wonder if this isn't a better idea.

I am a fire police officer and wear high visibility clothes while on the street but have been nearly run down by cars on a few occasions. Got the standard "oops I didn't see you". I mean WTF, I'm turned out in a green high visibility coat, hat, Gloves etc. So my question is does it help or are the dick heads just not gonna see ya no matter what your wearing? What is your experience. It's gotta help right.... Thanks..

Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 AM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do when I go to work, civilian at a military base. Don't when on my own. If they can't see the lights on my ultra the vest isn't going to matter.
In reality I don't think they look at all, hell, they hit cars. Too busy with the phone or ipod. In my neighborhood a kid hit my friends peterbuilt. Kid said he didn't see it. How do you not see a peterbuilt?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
dyna-rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Harley reflective vest that I wear after dark. Have been told by people riding behind me that I really made a difference in visibility. I don't wear it during the day though.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:54 AM
SeLFiSh 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If any thing I have heard that it attracks them to you like a magnit because you are bright and shinney.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna-rider
I have the Harley reflective vest that I wear after dark. Have been told by people riding behind me that I really made a difference in visibility. I don't wear it during the day though.
Excellent idea

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I figure if they can't see the gleam of the chrome and the headlight and spotlights of the bike, a reflective vest isn't gonna make much difference. Plus they make you look like one of those dorky BMW riders.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a lime-green Icon Mil-Spec reflective vest. All the time. It never leaves my jacket. And I am not military

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an orange vest I've never worn. Even when riding in uniform I just put an Army PT belt on. The vest just seems like extra crap to have to carry around.

What I've been meaning to do for night time visibility is to put some reflective striping and one of the Harley Night Vision (reflective) back patches on a jacket. I have the stuff but haven't gotten around to putting it on.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a Tourmaster Intake Mesh Jacket that is hi-vis green and black. It also has reflective piping and logos on the back and front for added vis. I wear it most places I ride whether on or off-base.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the orange water-proof HD light jackets. I rather focus on making my bike visible changing the oem lights, and running with hi-beams during the day light.

Mimo.

Quick Reply: Who's wearing High visibility vests