General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Course = completed [cool].

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default MSF Course = completed [cool].

I just completed my Motorcycle Safety Foundation course over the weekend.

I has been years since I have ridden and never anything as big as my new (to me) Wide Glide. I knew even before getting a motorcycle that I would be taking the course. I knew up front that I lacked confidence and was intimidated. While I am still timid with my bike, I gained some confidence after the first range session.

The course was a lot of fun and informative. Our class was small so we got a lot of riding in during the two days on the range. I think I put on just over 25 miles. It might not sound like a lot, but it is when you are in a parking lot riding around cones - LOL.

We covered a lot of ground in the course as it is designed for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle. We had class on Friday night where we started from scratch. I never really knew about the "Friction Zone". Well, I might have, and may have used it in the past but now I know what it is and how to use it better.

I rode my bike to the class both days. Saturday morning when I left the house it was 31 degrees. Sunday was a lot warmer - it was 33.

Saturday morning started with the very basics but by about 1000 we were riding the motorcycles around. I had an almost new Yamaha V-Star 250. It was a lot of fun to maneuver around the parking lot.

We broke for lunch at about 1300. When I got on my bike I noticed the differences right away with the controls. I also noticed that I had an increased level of confidence. I was able to apply what I had just learned on the range to my ride that afternoon. I did encounter a hill and was able to stop, wait and move on after traffic cleared with little trouble. Prior to the class I am sure I would have been a lot more nervous. I also felt more comfortable in the turns - I was not as worried that the bike was simply going to fall over.

Sunday morning at the range we started right in where we left off. We were built up to the final tasks before the riding test. After lunch we rode our final exercise and then went right into the test. I had two points deducted from my overall score. I stopped a bit long for the braking portion of the test and I was a little slow in the 135 degree curve.

The written was easy especially after reviewing it on the MSF website.

I went to the DDS on Tuesday and traded my certificate of completion for my endorsement.

Now - to get out and practice on my bike to help me build up some more confidence.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
gkvette
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations. Pretty much the same experience here with the MFS course. Really glad I took it.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:41 PM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on completing the MFS course and your new Wide Glide. Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Good for you!! Very nearly the same as my story from earlier in the year except I had ridden Harleys back in the day. Congrats!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome back to riding, and congrats on the Glide

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the Riders Edge and Skilled riders course a year later. i go to the skilled riders course every year just for a touch up on my skills. best money i ever spent for my safety. real informative

Old 11-18-2010, 06:39 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I laugh at some of the people that barely pass the MSF course, then go buy a brand new Harley cause they think since they've been riding a Buell blast all weekend that they are ready for the open road. Which usually comes back damaged a week or two later or totalled. It's stupid.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:44 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Congratulations! Yep; the MSF course is great; I loved it and met some nice people. I really think everyone should talk the class even if they don't plan on ridding; I really feel it made me a better and more aware driver. It would probably help cagers think more about motorcycles on the road.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
RyanC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job and congrats! I've been riding two seasons and taken 3 MSF courses, BRC out in town , ERC and MSRC through the Navy. Great courses that certainly made a huge difference in handling and confidence! Keep your head on a swivel and ride safe.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
I did the Riders Edge and Skilled riders course a year later. i go to the skilled riders course every year just for a touch up on my skills. best money i ever spent for my safety. real informative
I am already thinking about the advanced class, but taking it every year is a great idea IMO.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: MSF Course = completed [cool].