General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wisconsin Helmet Law

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 AM
motorrader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danmo
Hmm didn't mean to start a helmet wearing flame fest.
Just heard that a helmet law got sneaked through. Couldn't find any info so I was curious if anyone else had heard the rumor.
That's right, this wasn't a helmet/no helmet thread. If you can't answer the question in the OP, then please don't waste time typing just to see yourself in the thread.

I have not heard anything about a hlemet law in WI. People here watch that issue so I would be surprised if it got snuck in.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say a thread about a helmet law IS a "helmet no helmet" thread. It sure as hell ain't about the tea in China now is it?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iaint nebber fallz of my bike morz dan one tym and hits me head and it aint not ebber has cuased me no truobles

Old 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Any rider who thinks not wearing a helmet is a good idea is probably right for him as that skull bone is probably about 3" thick.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM
charle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by motorrader
If you can't answer the question in the OP, then please don't waste time typing just to see yourself in the thread.
I dont dress to crash.

Sweet there I am again!

Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with all of the anagolgies about safety ,head injuries, and taxpayer paying for peoples who have injuries..
Hmmmm, If most injuries are head( long term heath care etc)
then all vehicle crashes are at fault..

Lets make it a law to protect "stoopid people" in all vehicles.
Cars.trucks ,buses , bicycle,boats,any motorized vehicle..
That way we would never have to pay for "stoopid.
grandma may not vote for a "helmet law" in her station wagon , however same logic applies..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in a no-helmet-required state. Sometimes I wear one, sometimes not. I never, ever wore one until a few years ago, when my wife suffered a brain aneurysm. Most people die from this, and I was was told that she would be dead within hours. She didn't die. 6 weeks in ICU, invasive brain surgeries and another month in a rehab hospital's brain injury ward.

I'm not preaching here, but I saw some things.She had to learn to walk again, perform rudimentary tasks, etc. There were some guys there that had severe brain trauma/injuries from motorcycle accidents; two of which were shipped off to nursing homes for the rest of their lives (one of them was only 28).

Anyway, I've got insurance, etc. If someone mashes their melon on the pavement, I don't realistically think I'll see any difference in my taxes one way or the other. I now sometimes wear a bucket, but there are times I prefer not to. I don't subscribe to the Nancy Pelosi dictum that government intrusion and legislation is what we need; like it or not.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
mnskip
Tourer

I am sure Dale Earnheart was wearing a helmet. Was he being stupid for driving at 180MPH when he hit the wall? I am sure Superman wished he never got up on that horse the day he broke his back. Or should we make it a law "no driving during ice/snow storms". What I am getting at, is this is the United States of America. The last time I checked, I still can do what ever I choose, as long as I abide by the law. Soon, none of us will need service manuals because we won't be able to do a damn thing to our bikes if more laws are passed. Then all we will have left to do is complain why Harley is not selling bikes because they are to quiet, or how to fix our air bags, and why there is not enough room to store our "Jetson" suits.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New goldwings come with airbags. Why not make it the law that all motorcycles must have them? Now if we all had airbags we could all then wear seatbelts to make them more effective. ABS brakes are definitely advantageous, why not make them law? The speed limit in some states is 65. Let's make that the national law and limit all motorcycles to be unable to exceed the national law. I wonder everytime I drive by a car driver with a cell phone in their ear, how come that isn't illegal. The list goes on and on. For those telling me what I should have to do, I have a list of what you can do.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:04 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OP you are right about all kinds of stuff getting snuck through in lame-duck Gov. Doyle's budget bill this year, but I don't think a helmet law was included. The new texting while driving ban begins Dec. 1st in Wisconsin though.