General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No MSF course?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default go

I took a course 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I realized it's something I should do every 5 years or so; just look for an appropriate level course and go. There is always something to learn, or old skills to sharpen.

If nothing else, it's a great day or two with some very skilled riders on an enclosed course and a really fun time. On the other hand, you might learn something that saves your life one day. Either way, you can't go wrong by taking a course.

JR

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres a question. Would you guys wanting to take the advanced course, would you do it on your bike, or use the one the school provides? I was thinking about spending the extra $40 and using their bikes in case I dump it in the lot.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Heres a question. Would you guys wanting to take the advanced course, would you do it on your bike, or use the one the school provides? I was thinking about spending the extra $40 and using their bikes in case I dump it in the lot.
I'd rent.

If all goes well, you'll be riding at/near your limits, and may find you've exceeded them. Better to dump a rental. The downside is the rental bikes probably won' weigh 800lbs, but you can always practice what you've learned later when you're back on your own scoot. It's better to have practiced & dumped on a smaller bike before putting yours at risk for first few tries.

(just my opinion)
JR

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be surprised if very many here have taken an MSF course.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:54 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I do plan on taking the advanced course this spring....and I have to be honest with you, I flip flop in my head on the answer to that question. Knowing the advanced course will be pushing my skills....I fear dropping my bike. Yet...I should learn on my much heavier bike, so I know what it feels like being pushed that far...rather than the featherweight Rebels or Marauders that they provide. But I'm leaning towards playing it safe...ride my scoot to class, ride their little toys through the course, ride my scoot home.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been riding bikes since 1973, but never took the course.
Everything I've read about the classes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.
I'm sure I have a bunch of bad habits I'd have to unlearn.

Stuff we do that we aren't aware of, they explain how and why we should do them.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

nope.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:13 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never taken the course. Had my bike license since 1970. About 4 years ago when my girlfriend (now wife) wanted to start riding, I suggested she take the MSF course She did and loved it. I thought about taking it, but a few days after finishing the course, my wife had a petrry bad crash and a few weeks after that her instructor was killed in a bike wreck. I decided that since I've been riding all these years without the course, maybe I don't need it.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
EVO80
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asm481
I rode from 83 till about 04 without training. Got pulled over for no plates on a new to me bike. Of course they ask for drivers license. Cop was cool let me off with a verbal warning and my promise to take an MSF course. (Takes forever around here to get an appointment with DMV.)
End of story is I did learn a few things during the course and now I have my endorsement.
Same thing here - I started riding in 71 or 72 and finally took a MSF course in 2003. I have to say I learned a few things in the course and, maybe more importantly, it also enforced many things I already knew. I would recommend it to anyone. If I can find the time I probably will take the course again followed shortly after wards with an advanced class.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been riding since the 60s. I had to take the course to get the my endorsement in Florida.

No, you won't get anything out of it....

If you have ridden consistently that many years, you won't learn anything.

I will tell you what I learned: Just how ill-prepared new riders who graduated the course are to be on the interstate or in traffic. The other thing I learned is you have to be totally inept to not pass the course.

Can you swerve?
Can you ride over a 2x4?
Can you ride through a sweeping curve in 2nd gear?
Can you stop?
and the toughie: Can you complete a figure 8 with your feet on the pegs?

you pass... seriously, that is it. You don't even have to be able accomplish all of them.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-22-2010 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: No MSF course?