General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No MSF course?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No MSF course?

Who has not taken an MSF course? I have been riding since around 1963 or 4 and have never taken an MSF course. I think about taking the advanced class but never get around to it.
Anyone else on this forum that has not taken it? Would I get enough out of it after all these years or would I find that I am to set in my ways?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:24 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I started riding in 1988, never took any course, I too have thought about it many times but in a way kinda scared that I will learn how wrong I have been the whole time.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been riding since 1974.I don't know if I would have anything to gain.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I rode from 83 till about 04 without training. Got pulled over for no plates on a new to me bike. Of course they ask for drivers license. Cop was cool let me off with a verbal warning and my promise to take an MSF course. (Takes forever around here to get an appointment with DMV.)
End of story is I did learn a few things during the course and now I have my endorsement.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No Formal Training here!

My first license back in 1974 had a motorcycle endorsement. I've carried a cycle license ever since then.

I read the book and answered 10 questions. I can remember being followed around the block by a cop for my road test. Took it right after my driver's license driving exam was finished.

Years on the road have given me advanced training ... lol.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started riding in 1967. I never took a riding course of any kind. I have 2 sons that have started riding and I told them both to take the MSF course. Since I felt so strongly to have them take it I felt like I should take it myself. Yes it was worth every hour I spent in the class. There were things I had never heard of that they taught me. Just go into the course with an open mind. The most beneficial things I learned were slow speed maneuvering. I don't know what state you live in but in Michigan I took it through a college for $25.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never took the corse, Just took the test and passed a month after getting my temps. I have been on bikes since I was 6 and i'm now almost 33. I'm sure I might learn a few things, but over all getting out there and riding as been a great teacher.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,218 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Worth a weekends time simply for the discount in insurance alone, not to mention a few more "learned things" tucked in the back of your head.

I didn't do it back when I was younger and rode. After recently getting back into it...and wanting to have my wife on the back much of the time...I did take it. Was worth the time IMO.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Years on the road have given me advanced training ... lol.
That's what 2 of my riding buddies thought. These guys had been riding all of their lives and decided to take the course 2 summers ago. They were AMAZED at how much the didn't know. They were also amazed at the number of bad habits they had developed over the years. Both were VERY glad that they took the course and we all plan to take the advanced course next year.

It's free and helps make you a better/safer rider. So, there are really no reasons not to take the course.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been riding 20 years never took a course. I got my endorsement about 5 years ago cause I got pulled over. I have thought about taking something just to get some ideas on safer riding. I usually think about while riding, then when I get home I forget

Quick Reply: No MSF course?