General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have bought a Harley if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V-Twins are so special even the Japs copied the look. But they couldn't copy the essence and the soul of Harley's V-twin. Motorcycles just don't look right without the V between the rails. Inline fours just don't look right to me.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V-Max, and other V4's. Harley could had one like that but sold out to the japs. Harley Nova

Last edited by cadman311; 11-30-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:25 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Let me ask you guys a question.... Am I the only one likes the way Harley puts a bike out there? Instead of how the jappers over dress there's? In other words I am glad Harley does not push there blocks and heads to the point that you cannot work them in order to save face against jap and euro cruisers that you can only do so much with their drive train due to tolerances and meat on their walls. Makes the bike more personal to me doing it myself. In fact I I like that a Harley does not come chromed out to the max (unless ordered) or blacked out for that matter. It leaves it up to me to beautify it making me the happiest I can be with it's appearance. I see these japper rides and they are a dime a dozen in looks and all sound like crap, especially with after market exhaust. I also notice they are 20 footers, they looked chromed out but once you get close and look, the quality isn't that great and that's if it isn't even worse with plastic chrome. My point is when you ride and you know the feel of that clutch, or that feel of how the bike rolls, or can spot an engine sound anyone else would miss, I truly believe its because we personalize our bikes that makes us so at one with them and helps us to know that bike better then anyone else could. I had a friend tell me he loves a Harley because it's the one bike you can sell 10 yrs ago and if it should pass your friends on the street they will still say hey there goes (add your name here)'s bike. It is part of the mystique I believe.

Last edited by RamAirThree; 11-30-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

Everything is so over-engineered these days. I like the simplicity of my '92 EVO powered Softail. No computers, no sensors, no BS.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Old Sorrel
Everything is so over-engineered these days. I like the simplicity of my '92 EVO powered Softail. No computers, no sensors, no BS.
Yes, definitely I should have added this too....

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Amercan made bike have to keep the horsepower down to sell them by law. Think it was around 90 horsepower made in USA.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
cadman311
Club Member

sorry I was a little off.

Last edited by cadman311; 11-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cadman311

U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower

Acting preemptively in light of the European Union's recent push towards limiting motorcycle horsepower to 100, Congress has quietly passed a transportation bill that will cap motorcycle engine output at 75 hp.

At a press conference today, DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers announced that "We can't lag behind Europe's progressive stance towards two-wheeled moderation." The bill not only limits the horsepower of current and future motorcycle models, it retroactively applies to any registered bike on the road, and will take effect as early as January, 2011. "In the interest of public safety," Meyers explains, "law enforcement officials will clamp down on any and all motorcyclists who violate the law."

The bill outlines numerous electronic and mechanical implements that reduce engine output. For instance, fuel-injected powerplants will be fitted with revised engine management chips and/or throttle bodies, while older carbureted bikes will have a reduction gear attached to the throttle assembly. In instances where owners choose to retain the mechanical authenticity of their motorcycles, a banana can also be slipped into the exhaust pipe(s). At the discretion of state police, mobile dynamometers may be utilized for field tests.

Both the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association have lobbied against the bill, in addition to most manufacturers including Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph, and Yamaha.

There has been no comment from Harley-Davidson, though Forbes reports that Harley stock has jumped 12 percent on the announcement.

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/...horsepower.htm
Great info.... I wasn't aware of this.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Yep, if was still a Harley, I would have bought it.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311

U.S. Government to Limit Motorcycle Engine Output to 75 Horsepower

Acting preemptively in light of the European Union's recent push towards limiting motorcycle horsepower to 100, Congress has quietly passed a transportation bill that will cap motorcycle engine output at 75 hp.

At a press conference today, DOT spokesman Melvin P. Meyers announced that "We can't lag behind Europe's progressive stance towards two-wheeled moderation." The bill not only limits the horsepower of current and future motorcycle models, it retroactively applies to any registered bike on the road, and will take effect as early as January, 2011. "In the interest of public safety," Meyers explains, "law enforcement officials will clamp down on any and all motorcyclists who violate the law."

The bill outlines numerous electronic and mechanical implements that reduce engine output. For instance, fuel-injected powerplants will be fitted with revised engine management chips and/or throttle bodies, while older carbureted bikes will have a reduction gear attached to the throttle assembly. In instances where owners choose to retain the mechanical authenticity of their motorcycles, a banana can also be slipped into the exhaust pipe(s). At the discretion of state police, mobile dynamometers may be utilized for field tests.

Both the Motorcycle Industry Council and the American Motorcyclist Association have lobbied against the bill, in addition to most manufacturers including Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki, Triumph, and Yamaha.

There has been no comment from Harley-Davidson, though Forbes reports that Harley stock has jumped 12 percent on the announcement.

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2010/...horsepower.htm
This is shockingly absurd !!!!!

Quick Reply: Would you have bought a Harley if...