General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you have bought a Harley if...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I certainly would consider a Harley that was something else than a V-twin. I aggree with those that believe the Moco is sort of stuck with its heritage marketing. I understand very much the appeal an air cooled V-twin has; its sound and feel, but for the next generation of buyers, this may not be what makes them want to buy an H-D or any other brand. I think for the company's long term success they need to have the confidence that if they spend big bucks on developing a powerful non V-twin motor, this platform will be greeted with excitment and not rejected out of hand because it is different.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, the "V" configuration has little to do with the appeal. It looks great, sure, but that's just grown on me because it's the status quo. I could become a parallel-twin fan or inline-triple fan just as easily if Triumph took over Harley's position in selling what I want.

And what I want is rugged simplicity and supportability. Sturdy build quality... none of those malleable aluminum frames or engine-as-stressed-member designs for me, thanks. Fewest moving parts possible: less to break and easy repair for those parts that do fail mean more years in the saddle, for less money! To this end I've even replaced my chain-driven cams with gear-driven cams. Are there any other bikes out there that even give you that option?! I think they're all too complicated!

People like to pick on Harley for updating their designs so infrequently, but this is actually a major selling point for me. The longer they keep an engine series or chassis series in production, the larger the accessory catalogs for those models grow, the more aftermarket support grows, the larger the user base grows... all adding up to a lot of parts and experienced services available for the owner. BMW retools a lot more often, which requires aftermarket accessory and parts makers to retool, and requires their mechanics to learn new systems more often. Priced BMW parts and service lately? Youch!

I would buy a Harley that wasn't a V-twin, but only if they kept up their philosophy of mechanical simplicity, rugged design, easy maintainability, usability, and quality. Otherwise, I'd switch to anyone who would fill those shoes.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Auckland
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Harley because I can not afford a Zero Engineering motorcycle.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
This is shockingly absurd !!!!!
It's because it's an old April Fools article/joke

Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my harleys so much I have two Harley bikes.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
It's because it's an old April Fools article/joke
Sorry about that

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
RamAirThree
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cadman311
Sorry about that

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Then really it wouldn't be a Harley.....would it...

So it'd be hard to buy something that ain't and call it the same as though it was, then ask if U want one.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM
softhera
Intermediate

Harley's what a machine ,been riding for 20 years , it's the only machine I have ridden, on my third one, Road King Classic 2011, Why,well made and it sounds like a Motor should sound

Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM
bigalv63
Tourer

I would sure as heck would definitely buy a Harley and I don't care what engine it would have...my first Harley was a Shovel....and I still have it.....I also have the Twin Cam with 5 speed...a new RK is on order....with the six speed etc.....hope I live long enough to someday....get whatever else they come out with....

Last edited by bigalv63; 11-30-2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: make sentence complete

Quick Reply: Would you have bought a Harley if...