General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about H-D New Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 PM
SouthernGuy8503
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about H-D New Rider Course

I haven't been on this forum that long, I don't have a Harley yet or sadly even the motorcycle endorsement on my license yet.

I was wondering about the H-D New Rider Course you can take, is it well worth it or should I just buy an old bike and practice when I'm able to.

I'm leaning towards the Course especially since last I saw it only cost $295 (at least how much the closest Dealer ask that offers the course) and says if you pass you might even be exempt from taking the test at the DMV (not sure if it would exempt me, I'm in NC).

I'm really asking because the course seems the best logical thing to do but I'm not sure if it really is what they're advertising it to be. I understand it could depend on which H-D Dealer you go to. I just imagine some places half assing it by not really teaching you the stuff like they should be. I know not all would be like that, maybe none will be like that, just what I'm thinking some places might be like. The one I'd have to go to would be at Ray Price Harley-Davidson in Raleigh, NC.

H-D Rider's Edge New Rider Course Link

Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, the course will exempt you from the riding test in NC, you still have to take the written test. I would say take the class, I know several of the instructors and they take their job very seriously. You might also look into the community colleges in the area; both Wake and Johnston have MSF classes ans they are under $100

Old 12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Wake county classes are in the $150 range, at Wake Tech

Look at it this way.....
say you take the class, and think to yourself, "screw this crap".... you're out $150 +/- or?? you buy a bike, and say "screw this crap" you may be out a lot more.

Take the class....learn from the folks who are trained to teach you how to ride.

Will taking the calss exempt you from the NCDMV "skills test"?.... yes
Will taking the class turn you (a novice) into a seasoned rider? ... of course not... BUT... you will have been exposed to the skills, that you need to learn, and master, which might one day, save yer butt...

As far as "some places half assing it by not really teaching you the stuff like they should be."... whether you take the "RIDERS EDGE", ot you take the local Community College" route, the instructors, and class materiel, are the same. the difference being whether you are trained on a Buell Blast, or a metric 250cc

Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
ruf361
Cruiser

All of the riders Edge courses follow the same curriculum. Its very good in my opinion and would recomend it. It starts off just getting comfortable on the bike. Each skill you do builds on the previous. It really helped me get acclimated to riding and I felt confident when getting on my own bike. Its money well spent, safe and you get to drop someone elses bike instead of your own. Cant beat that. I ride with a few people from my class now, so thats a bonus.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

A big advantage to taking a course is developing good habits from the begining. These habits will come into play should you have to call on your training in an emergency or close miss situation.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Make sure you check your local DMV before you take the test. Not all DMVs will waive the driving test. There are several courses here in Jacksonville and the DMV only recognizes the course from the Community College.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I recommend the MSF course (same material as riders edge but usually much cheaper). I also recommend getting a cheap used bike to start on. Your size, strength, abilities and what type of riding you plan on doing have a lot to do with choosing a bike.
Smaller bikes are not as heavy when (if) you drop them. Looking at a cheap bike laying on the ground doesn't hurt as much as an expensive bike.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:46 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Take the course. But I highly recommend as mentioned above to take the College one for 150 vs the Riders Edge.
I took both and they are the same course.
First took the Riders Edge using a beat up Buell. The shifter would not change gears and kept sliding and falling staright down. The whole course I was sitting sprts style with a piece of crap bike and of course failed. By the time I got the bike into 2nd instead of third I realized I was driving past the cones..oh well.
Felt good about riding though so I signed up for the College course that next week. Surprise. Same course material. To back up, the Riders Edge extras were a free tee shirt and two more days to walk the showroom. 1 with retail sales people and a shopping list and the other day to sit on all the bikes.
The college course however used Honda Rebel 250s which felt like mini cruisers. They were fun to ride and much better for testing. All went well in less time, on better bikes and for a lot less money.
As for the course it gave me all the basics to learn to ride. Maybe a month later I found my self having to do a U turn on a small road and all back brake and friction zone later, what do you know... a breeze : )
Thank MSF course.
Take the course. It really helps.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Riders Edge. MSF. Doesn't matter. Take the course now and take a refresher wvwey so often to eliminate poor riding habits. An advanced course is available as well.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:19 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They're the same MSF course. The community college courses are subsidized by the state. The HD course isn't, that's why the price difference. In Michigan it's only $25 at the community college.

Quick Reply: Question about H-D New Rider Course