General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes Measurement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:06 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Rule of thumb:

When you decide what you want, add 2 more inches.
TRUTH!

i got my 14" carlinis and love them but wish all the time i'd sprung for the 17s

and IMO if you go any taller than 2" on the risers it starts to look a little weird.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:25 PM
slick10
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about comfort and really subjective. I've had 16" apes with stock risers on my Heritage and 14" apes on two Wide Glides and my Street Glide. My hands have been just above my shoulders on these bikes. Sit on your bike and have someone measure from the stock risers to where your hands/arms feel comfortable and go from there.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Rule of thumb:

When you decide what you want, add 2 more inches.
Exactly. Thought I wanted 14's, went with 16's, turns out they were about 17 and a half when I got'em. PERFECT!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
I've heard that once your hands go over shoulder level your circulation to your arms/hands would be affected. I ride with 14" and my arms are pretty much horizontal. I've ridden with 12" as well and never had any problems. If you like the look of tall apes I'd say go for anything at shoulder level.
This was true for me. I had 14" apes on my Fatboy, and although the position was comfortable, about shoulder height, when I was touring last summer, I found that after riding for and hour or two, my fingers would go numb and tingle. I had to keep taking my hands off the bars and flexing my fingers to get the circulation back.
If I had my arms stretched straight forward it wasn't so bad, but when I relaxed my arms, my forearm would be pointing upwards a bit and I just wasn't getting the circulation.
I just changed to 10" bars, and they feel comfortable as well, but I haven't tried them on any long trips yet.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
This was true for me. I had 14" apes on my Fatboy, and although the position was comfortable, about shoulder height, when I was touring last summer, I found that after riding for and hour or two, my fingers would go numb and tingle. I had to keep taking my hands off the bars and flexing my fingers to get the circulation back.
If I had my arms stretched straight forward it wasn't so bad, but when I relaxed my arms, my forearm would be pointing upwards a bit and I just wasn't getting the circulation.
I just changed to 10" bars, and they feel comfortable as well, but I haven't tried them on any long trips yet.
which brings up an overlooked consideration. different brands of apes have different pull back lengths, which will help determine if your bars are angled back, forward or straight up . this can change "height" a lot. I've people talk about having 16 , could go 18....well hell ya , they have short arms and have the bars pulled back so their 16's are really about 13.
I'm putting 16's on my wideglide ( they r mounted but need to finish the wiring ) , 9 inch pullback,shorter shocks , mustang solo seat and lanky arms which puts my bars straight up my hands are above my shoulders. once I ride and get into the "slouch" I'm sure my hands will end up about nose high

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the guy who is 6`5 prob looks like a ape on any bike, but with his stupid opion he should be running 20in, i am 5`9 have carlini 12 in which measure 13 in with a one in riser i am at 14 and that puts me at shoulder height which is perfect for me, and everyone loves my apes as they all call it guys with 18 or 20 look like squirls going down the road

Old 12-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

1" plastic pipe is pretty inexpensive to use for a mock up of the height you might like. Start with 16" or so and cut them down to see what it feels like. For about ten dollars or so you can get pipe, connectors and glue.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
Totally false.

There aint a whole lot of difference in 3 inches.
I'm thinking there are a lot of women that would disagree with you. But whatever helps you sleep at night. JK.

Back on track, if you search the forum there is a video posted (sorry I don't remember from when) on measuring what would be "comfortable" when choosing bars.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would check with your D.O.T. too, some states have laws dictating the amount of inches the bars can be above the tank.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's either measured at the seat or shoulders for different state handle bar height laws.
If you get pulled over, make sure they are measuring where your hands are. Not the highest part of the bars.

Quick Reply: Apes Measurement