General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost mashed by an ambulance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 08:23 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost mashed by an ambulance!

I was out for a ride this afternoon. Pulled up first in line at a redlight that gets really busy after 4:00. Intersection of two, two-lane roads. Light goes green and I take off. By the time I get to third gear, I hear sirens. Look in my mirros then look up to see one of those really big rescue trucks, in my lane, headed right at me at at least 40mph. He's going around the traffic stopped in his lane. This is a narrow road with no shoulder. There is no where for me to go. I blow the horn, lock up the back tire and swerve to towards the curb. Let me tell you there's not much room left when a bigass truck and a motorcycle occupy the same lane at the same time.

After I finished loading up my drawers, I turned around to follow that sumbitch. Then I notice a state trooper at a store at the intersection and pull in. Explain to him what happened, and naturally, he makes all those BS excuses for the other driver. I took off back up the road to the offending fire station. Talked to his Lt. I told him that I understand these guys have a job to do and that they have to get there quickly. But at what expense? Got the number for the Chief. Gonna call Monday and file a complaint.

Wouldn't have gotten me so hot if it hadn't been the second time for a rescue truck in the last couple months. Last time I was sitting at a busy intersection when the idiot came up behind me. Going where he was going regardless of my presence. I'm not gonna move out in the middle of a busy intersection, against a redlight, so he can get on his way.

Oh yeah, then there's the two cops in the last two weeks, in two different towns, that swerve around a car in their lane, into my lane, causing me to **** myself and almost run off the road. Neither of them responding to a call. The first one half a mile from home. The last one just yesterday. Just like Billy Lane, these f*ckers should know better!

Trust no one!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Almost mashed by an ambulance!

Glad you are safe. Emergency vehicles are a tough thing. Mentality of they own the road, which if possible they do. But I know of a few accidents personally where the fire truck/EMT/ambulance ran into something (or tipped over from too much corner speed)

Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn Craig,glad to hear your OK.Good point though,at what exspense are some willing go these days

Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what it is about Fire Depts (sorry you FD guys if I offend), but sheesh.......

I see it nearly daily....the FD on a call, running hot in a 60,000 pound truck, lights, sirens, and air horns blaring, going straight at an intersection (against the red light), fast enough that they could not POSSIBLY stop if somebody with the green light failed to yield to them. I as a LEO sometimes wonder, if they have the mentality that "I am BIGGER, they will move".

Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Slap on a helmet and one of those helmet cams Craig. That way next time that happens you at least you shove some proof in their faces (not sure how much good it'll do, but it might work!) Glad you're ok!

Old 09-29-2006, 10:26 PM
badmo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your alright man.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks dudes!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:40 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

Yea, that is some scary experiences! It makes you wonder if you have a bullseye painted on your chest/back to attract them.

I like that idea about putting a camera on the helmet to record this stuff to take in and show the chief. That would get their attention pretty fast, expecially if you told them you might drop off a copy at the local TV station unless they agreed to wash and wax your bike each week for a year.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Motor Squad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emergency vehicles DO own the road when lights and sirens are on. If everyone would obey the law and get out of the way it would be much safer for everyone including the civilians on the road. The problem is everyone comes to a complete stop in the lane their in as if that helps out the emergency vehicles by having to jam on the brakes and go around them.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:23 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Motor Squad

Emergency vehicles DO own the road when lights and sirens are on. If everyone would obey the law and get out of the way it would be much safer for everyone including the civilians on the road.

So it's okay to run over me in MY lane because his lights are on??? Or better yet, it's my fault for not seeing into the future? If it's okay to kill somebody who doesn't yield, for whatever reason, I'm gonna start shooting people who cut me off when I have the right of way.

Like I said, I looked up and he was in my lane coming at me with nowhere to go. I reacted as soon as I saw it. No time to even come to a stop. Nowhere for the other cars to go either. I'm sorry but a two lane road with no shoulder is NOT the place to try to go three wide. Hell, if the sumbitch had just slowed down to go around me it wouldn't have been so bad but he was hauling ***. Sad part is, he could've gone another way, got where he was going quicker and avoided the whole crowded intersection.

You almost sound like the cop that went around another car in traffic to get to the left turn lane, pushing me to the right edge of the road? Isn't it against the law to cross the crosshatched, yellow line section before a turning lane? Or maybe the one that went around a car, on his side of the road, that decided to take half my lane instead of OBEYING THE LAW and stopping until it was clear. No lights, no sirens, just impatient a$$holes.

You're in central Florida, maybe it was you???

Quick Reply: Almost mashed by an ambulance!