General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a backpack

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,416 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Been interested in the Falcon Bag from T-bags, 11bdad keep us informed on your use of the Falcon.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by rizzo
Happy New Year. I'm thinking about a backpack. What are the best features and what tools and things do you carry?
The first accessory you need with a backpack is a Sport Bike.

Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
The first accessory you need with a backpack is a Sport Bike.

Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep. Might as well put a windshield on a springer.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear one everyday I ride my bike to work. I also use a HD one I got free with a $300 purchase.
It can hold 3 days worth of clothes and goes to the hotel room with me.
I wouldn't carry tools in it though. I have a Leatherworks tool bag for them.

There are some that are padded to act as body armor if you go down.
I guess I don't worry enough about how cool I look while wearing.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

IMO back packs look more dorky than bags....

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just say no to backpacks.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Sport bike guy that works for me has an Icon back pack. I used it the day I bought my bike, so I could carry paperwork and such back from Seoul. It was o.k., but a sissy bar, rack and roll bag are much better for daily use.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...=3435&id=11992

Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went the back pack for a while as well and my advice is don't use it for a permanent solution.

Here is the deal: I wanted a clean, no bag look to my bike. So I went with a back pack, I have a slew of them at home from work. I would throw my laptop in it, and hit the road. It sucked when I got off the bike, because then I had to carry around a "man-bag."

Well, soon as summer hit it really blew. Your back is sweating, you have to get the chest strap (if you have one) tight to keep it from shifting. Even stripping down to a beater, you still have this sweat producing insulator against you that has the contents shift now and again.

So then I added a luggage rack, and bungee my backpack too it. It worked out for a few weeks. Problem is you have the pull those bungees tight to keep the back pack on the rack, and invariably it shifts. The bungees pull to one side and you spend a good five to ten minutes strapping this ungainly bag to the sissybar and luggage rack.

After a few weeks, I was heading on the way work and stopped to get gas....back pack was missing. I found it half a mile down the road looking like it was mauled by tigers and the laptop was now a lego set. The bungees had pulled the bag to the side and it slid off.

I tried T-bags, but I hate the look of them when there isn't anything in them, or not enough to keep them from needing bungees to keep them tight. There is nothing appealing about them except their functionality, which for hauling ****, they are great as long as it is mostly soft durables like clothes.

Next month, I am seeing the dealer about getting a pair of rigid bags installed.

Truthfully, if you typically are a bar hopper or a guy who just likes to cruise on his bike without taking some longer trips or commuting to work, then a back pack will do just fine for those occasional needs. If you are like me, and commute to work every opportunity you can get or take weekend trips and vacations on your bike, then go for a set of saddle bags.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick detach backrest and a t-bag or a roll bag for when I need to haul more than my saddlebags will carry.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a backpack-0604000752.jpg   Thinking about a backpack-0822001223.jpg   Thinking about a backpack-travelling-config.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes when I ride my Deuce, I've had to use the backpack from Harley. I just set it low enough that it sits on the seat when I'm on it.
No issues.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a backpack