Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Tires (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/596824-tires.html)

ia2189 01-05-2011 06:36 PM

Just bought a Metzeler from Dennis Kirk. Ordered Monday late afternoon and it was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Great price (I believe the same as Jake Wilson) and great service/shipping.

piasspj 01-05-2011 07:29 PM

I pretty much compare to avoid paying the high prices. When you get to comparing the places that have the low prices and shipping, they usually work out to be fairly close.
You may find that one is lower on the rear tire, but higher on the front. Do you want to order everything from one place then you have to compare the total order. IMO the differences usually don't make it worth the hassle of splitting it up.

Jake Wilson and Dennis Kirk are good bets, J&P can be as well if your a member of the club.

Notgrownup 01-05-2011 07:34 PM

Ebay or Jake wilson.... That is where i buy mine...If you don't have a touring bike you can get a Kenda tire , they are cheap and decent... they only go up to certain sizes and weight capacity.

Miz Roo 01-05-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by MATUCHI (Post 7743789)
I used to work at a tire shop and don't like buying four or five year old new tires. I like to pick my tires out from a dealer based on the manufacturer's build date that is stamped on the sidewall of every tire. If you look closely you will find a four-digit number stamped into the sidewall of your tire. It will read something like 4408 or 2101. What do these numbers mean? Well, a 4408 means the tire was manufactured during the 44th week of 2008. 2101 means the tire was manufactured the 21st week of 2001. Years prior to 2000 have a one-digit number to reflect the year, and after 2000, a two-digit number is used. I'd rather pay a little more to have fresh rubber on my bike - but that's just me.

Thanks a lot for the info. Now we're all racing out to the garage to check our tires. A big thumbs up to you!

Gypsylady 01-05-2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by PktChg (Post 7738900)
Needing to get a rear tire for the bike and looking for the cheapest deal. Been looking for a few days and seen some good deals but wanted to throw it out here.....do you know of an obscure website that is notorious for being the cheapest on tires? I've pretty much settled on Jake Wilson, who I used last time but wanted to make sure I'm saving every penny I can.

...Nevermind...Site's not up anymore.

wildbill118 01-05-2011 09:25 PM

One thing to consider I learned the other day..When you buy tires from the internet what is the date the tire was made? In other words how old is the tire when you bought it although "new" I asked a dealer how much they would charge to mount a tire I purchased elsewhere because I could get them cheaper from mail order. His reply was he wouldn't mount it if the date on the tire was more than 6 months old because of a previous lawsuit somewhere regarding a dealership and an old make tire. Now I consider that bull since the tire he did put on my bike from thier dealership was dated 03/ 10 and was 9 months old BUT I did remember reading that car tires should be replaced every 5 years regardless of wear because of degradation in the rubber. Makes sense but has anyone looked..When you buy a discount tire from the internet did you get a 2 year old "new" tire? Just curious. Not professing any danger or not or knowledge of tires just want to know how fresh they are from people who have gotten them from ....?

tidbit1 01-05-2011 09:28 PM

I use Motorcycle Super Store. www.motorcyclesuperstore.com Saved money and got fast shipping.

Ride safe

PktChg 01-06-2011 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by wildbill118 (Post 7744531)
One thing to consider I learned the other day..When you buy tires from the internet what is the date the tire was made? In other words how old is the tire when you bought it although "new" I asked a dealer how much they would charge to mount a tire I purchased elsewhere because I could get them cheaper from mail order. His reply was he wouldn't mount it if the date on the tire was more than 6 months old because of a previous lawsuit somewhere regarding a dealership and an old make tire. Now I consider that bull since the tire he did put on my bike from thier dealership was dated 03/ 10 and was 9 months old BUT I did remember reading that car tires should be replaced every 5 years regardless of wear because of degradation in the rubber. Makes sense but has anyone looked..When you buy a discount tire from the internet did you get a 2 year old "new" tire? Just curious. Not professing any danger or not or knowledge of tires just want to know how fresh they are from people who have gotten them from ....?

Replacing the tire every 5 years on a car is due to the tire having been on the vehicle and used for 5 years. A new, 2 year old tire is no different than a new 6 month old tire other than the salesman pitch.

Cheese Head 01-06-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by PktChg (Post 7739550)
That little obscure bit was missing. I have researched my tires and narrowed my search down to a few. Now it just comes down to cost.

As previous posters have said. Not the place to skimp on tires. You may have decided on quality tires. Now I would recommend a quality dealer, not just a discount dealer so that you can get the tires you want at the cheapest price. Tires do have a shelf life and can suffer dry-rot. Do you really want to buy quality tires that have been sitting in a discount warehouse so long that they won't last long or are unreliable. I would stick with big name vendors (i.e. JP Cycles, Jake Wilson, Dennis Kirk, etc.) These vendors should have been turnover than say for example Tim's Internet Discount Tires (I just made up a name of a company, so if this is a realy distributor, I don't mean to slam them) and their tires should be fresher and less subject to dry rot.

MATUCHI 01-06-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Roo (Post 7744078)
Thanks a lot for the info. Now we're all racing out to the garage to check our tires. A big thumbs up to you!

You're welcome! :D

What was the date on your tires?