General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end on the Dyna is straight! (bad pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Front end on the Dyna is straight! (bad pics)

Spent today rebuilding the front end of the Dyna. Have had all the parts since the weekend before Christmas but with all the family around I just couldn't break free to do it.

Three of us did the work (well one did the work and directed the other two of us on how best to help him). The job took about 3 hours with 90 minutes of that being bleeding the front brake after replacing the crimped brake line.

After dropping the front wheel at the beginning I got a good view of how tweaked the old forks really were from the wreck. The left leg stuck out about 2 inches further forward than the right leg. the axle had been keeping it a bit straighter.

We took the opportunity to replace all the seals and bushings as well. Each leg was only about 10 minutes worth of work to pull from the triple tree break down, toss the old upper and reassemble with new upper and seals/bushings. Actually we replaced the sliders as well but when we got everything back together we found the axle did not fit the new lowers. Lesson, always read the box. The sliders were for an 01-03 FXD. The 05's had larger axles. No biggie, the sliders were just something the mechanic had laying around that he never used, so all that was lost was an extra 20 minutes of having to take each leg apart to put the old sliders on.

We also replaced the lower triple tree which was pretty messed up as well. He had it all prepped when we arrived so it was the first think we did after pulling the legs out. It took less than 10 minutes.

I had managed to bend the front fender back into shape so it went back on as well. It's not very pretty, lots of scratches and chipped paint, I gotten really tired of having everything that the front wheel went over shooting up into my face, I'll live with the dings.

After we finished I went out for a test ride. After a month of riding with handlebars in a jacked position I couldn't tell what was straight. The whole thing felt a little funky, so the other two guys took turns riding it. We came to the conclusion that the right side of the bar is bent just a tad low. Since I'm going looking at replacing the bars in the near future with some with a bit more rise it's not a big deal so we left them as is. All in all I'm really happy to again have a bike I can ride without looking like I'm always turning left.

A couple of photos, funny how stuff never looks as messed up in photos as it does in RL. First photo is of the tweaked forks before removal, then the old lower triple tree with the broken stop and finally the bike put back together in my garage (sorry for the tilt compensation).

Attached Thumbnails Front end on the Dyna is straight! (bad pics)-2011_01_lv_bike-002a.jpg   Front end on the Dyna is straight! (bad pics)-2011_01_lv_bike-003a.jpg   Front end on the Dyna is straight! (bad pics)-2011_01_lv_bike-006a.jpg  

Last edited by Gazzalodi; 01-09-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

cool. looking good!