General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Zap
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who do you want?...a pro or no

So… A mechanic at the local indy was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley, when he spotted a world-famous heart surgeon in his shop. The heart surgeon was waiting for the service manager to come take a look at his bike.

The mechanic shouted across the garage, “Hey Doc can I ask you a question?” The famous surgeon, a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motorcycle.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, “So Doc, look at this engine. I also can open it up, take valves out, fix’em, put in new parts and when I finish this will work just like a new one. So how come I get a pittance and you get the really big money, when you and I are doing basically the same work?”

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic, “Try doing it while it’s running.”

Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There it is there's THE answer ..... OH YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
cornishman your not exactly close to any dealers ....... Riders of Bridgewater or Dockgate 20 Southampton .......
I bought from Riders, but now there is a Harley dealership in Plymouth, 6 miles.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:05 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although it must be said i don,t use it.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,924 Likes on 17,477 Posts

If you have a newer bike under warranty stick with the program , an older or EVO try the local guys .

Having the nick " Tech " isn't a guarantee the guy knows what he's doing , it just means he paid money to got to a school somewhere . To be honest from what I've seen most of these places teach the general basics of mechanics & repair with some detailed things on a few specific items , not much serious in depth knowledge . That comes with experience & OJT if the guys lucky to land a good job . I know at least 6 Tech school grads and none are mechanics , 2 got jobs at the parts counters somewhere . We had 3 " Techs " at the Indian dealer I moonlighted at and if it wasn't straight out of the book they were lost period . Couldn't tune a motor or diagnosis noises or drive train problems at all , just parts changers .

Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
MrMax
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
My bike is serviced by a non Harley tech all the time.....me! If you like the shop and they back up their work, I say go for it
My thoughts as well. If I'm not working on my own stuff, I'm usually working on, or helping someone else with their's. No Harley tech here, simply an engineer that fancies himself a mechanic at times.

I

Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
ask youself this question - would you take your car to Jiffy-Lube for an oil change? or do you take it back to the dealer?

I'd let a non harley tech service my bike
Actually I let my dealer change my oil on my truck But I would let a non Ford employee wrench on my truck, and I would also let a non HD employee wrench on my bike.

It's all a matter of trust and quality workmanship.

mikebaby