General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?

Where I live, we have a motorcycle shop which repairs most Japanese models as well as Harley's. I checked them out recently and asked if they had a certified "Harley" tech on hand and they said they didn't.
They said they back up there work and they seem like a bunch of good guys. I took a tour of the shop and it's clean and safe.

I guess my question is would you guys take your bike to a shop where there was no "Harley" tech, but one that could work on them?

I have no problem with my local Harley shop, just that it's over an hour to get there and this place is a stones throw from work.

Thanks,

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bike is serviced by a non Harley tech all the time.....me! If you like the shop and they back up their work, I say go for it

Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No .....

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea bro, im not a harley tech and ive been doing great hahahahaha as long as you can read and figure out a drawing you can fix anything

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

sure. I have an indy just down the road from here that has done some things to my Harleys. He knows what he's doing, and he likes working on Harleys.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ask youself this question - would you take your car to Jiffy-Lube for an oil change? or do you take it back to the dealer?

I'd let a non harley tech service my bike

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 AM
SgtSkiddz
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no magic in being a certified tech. The certified Harley tech our local shop had sucked. They fired him, got a new guy who isn't certified that does great work and knows his ****. So yeah, if you trust them and they have a good rep, take it to them. But you might want to check your warrantee. Never owned a Harley under warantee so I don't know if they have a clause in there about using certified mechanics or not.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends.

Obviously I'm no Harley tech but I work on my own bike all the time. I trust me to make something right on the bike if I screw it up.

Now I took my 99 Sportster to an indy shop that mostly works on metrics (name of the place is a negative play on the Hog name) but that advertises they sell tires for all bikes including Harleys. Their prices are really good and I needed a tire put on my bike before the weekend. Normally I would pull the tire myself, take it to cycle gear and just have them mount the tire to the wheel but I didn't have the time.

First they tried to tell me my spacers were wrong. No, I did a 150 tire conversion and the spacers, while looking wrong, are right. After all, the tire was CENTERED in the frame when I brought it in and that's the purpose of those spacers. It took them two hours because they had problems getting the tire on the wheel. Now, in their defense I was putting a 150 tire on the wheel which originally came with a 130 but Cycle Gear had done this once before without a problem. This was on Friday. Saturday I rode from my house down in Southern Ca up to Las Vegas. Just as I was getting back on the freeway by the strip, I hit a small bump and my secondary drive belt snapped! The bike had only 20K miles on it and the belt had been in fine shape. My only thought is when they put the tire back on they didn't properly tension the belt. That SNAFU cost me $400.

So after that I'm VERY leary of any indy working on my bike unless they come HIGHLY reccommended. At least with the Harley dealership you know they have a better chance of knowing what they're doing.

Last edited by Robotech; 01-13-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
My bike is serviced by a non Harley tech all the time.....me! If you like the shop and they back up their work, I say go for it

Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Captain Chaos
Road Master
Received 923 Likes on 358 Posts

Service it yourself and rest assured that it's done right.
Trust someone else and risk that it's done wrong.

Quick Reply: Would you get your bike serviced by a non "Harley" Tech?