General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob vs Super Glide Custom

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Street Bob vs Super Glide Custom

I know this topic has been touched on a few times, i've used the search tool and google a lot but want to hear something from some guys (or gals) with experience. I'm not too boisterous on the forums but i've been here reading and learning for a while.

Anyway, I've been riding for about a year, i've always been interested but never really had the ***** to just up and get a Harley. Last year i got married, my wife's dad is a long time biker and she's always had this dream to be driven to the aisle by her dad. We took it a step further and i actually learned to ride so i could drive her off after the ceremony. It was awesome and I'm totally hooked! To prepare, a few months before i took a rider course and lucky for me, her dad has two bikes so we practiced in parking lots and we still go on rides to this day.

For the wedding, we rented a Softail Heritage and the bike i've been riding for the last year is her Dad's gold 2003 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (that bike is a ****ing beast!). I'm not trying to brag, but just showing that i have experience on the bigger, heavier bikes.

So that brings me to my topic discussion: Im ready to get my first bike and i've narrowed it down to the Superglide Custom or the Street Bob. I think the Super Glide is my dream bike at this point, but here are my few concerns.

- Personally, i feel if i see another "blacked out" Street Bob on the road im going to puke, but I currently live in a condo so it's a covered parking spot situation. Outside is open to the elements (luckily I'm in San Diego, CA so no snow or anything major, but it gets chilly in the winter and when it rains it pours!) I know the Super Glide has a lot more chrome. Would a flat black Street Bob possibly be a more practical solution so I don't buy something that's just going to deteriorate in a parking lot?

-Also in my research, i know the Super Glide is the "best handling Dyna". I personally haven't touched a pair of Ape Hangers. How hard is it to get used to and does it dramatically affect your riding? I've read that freeway riding is rough due to the parachute effect. Is it just unbearable to ride on freeways?

-Also the Glide seems to be more equipped for the type of riding I'd do. it's got the two-up seat, seams more comfy for longer trips. Really i guess i can't be labeled a specific type of rider. I like the back country stuff, the freeways, the long trips and the short run to the bar so really i need a good all round bike.

Sorry for the rant, i'd like to hear from some guys that have ridden a few bikes and can give some advice- not so much the "i own a Street Bob and it rocks". Let's hear some intelligent conversation and opinions! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by emerican19; 01-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a Street Bob, and I travel 200-500 miles one way all the time. I ride it to work and back almost every day.

This is what I have done to make my bike more comfortable, and fit me better.
I put a Fat Bob seat on the bike. It works for me a ton. I can ride a tank of gas, and not have to get off the bike. If the tank would go 300 miles or more I feel I would be fine riding that way non-stop.
I put some adjustable forward pegs on the bike, but left the mid controls. I love mid controls, and with the HW pegs I can adjust for blood circulation while moving down the road.
I also bought a Biker Friendly bag for the long trips. I now have good back support from the Fat Bob seat, and with the Biker Friendly bag I have a full backrest for the long haul that also works as storage.
I also added 2" Loner Industries risers to the stock bars.
I would like to change. Like adding a dash ignition while keeping the fork lock on the neck. Other than that. I really think with the small improvements that matter to me. I can go on any two to three day trip with ease.

And I think you meant Super Glide not Street Glide. You kinda switched in the middle of your post.
The Super Glide Custom is a nice bike. Is it any better than a Street Bob. Not to me. It is not a flat black bike. Comes with a 2 up seat, laced wheels, and is still a "Dyna" so you will gain nothing but seating position as far as handling and motor with minor changes in aesthetics.

Whatever you choose. You will probably end up changing something.

Last edited by editbrain; 01-16-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,491 Likes on 2,483 Posts

Since both bikes are the same price,you get so much more with the Superglide Custom. I've owned 2 & they're great bikes. The Streetbob is too trendy & everyone has one. And I gotta agree--I see one more blacked out bike I'm gonna VOMIT!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Here you go. Hope you don't get the dry heaves. We don't have a lot of flat black bikes here. A bunch of ugly Softails though.

Weather changed on me, and the bike sweated that day. Got to 100% humidity from 30* F to 70* F in about 3 hours before I got home from work (my day to pick up the kids) to take the crappy cover off. I got a better cover now.

Here is the bike with all but the Biker Friendly bag.

$60 bucks for the pegs
$65 for the seat
$200 for the bag
$75 for the risers
Not having an ugly two tone Dyna that I would have to repaint, and comes with all the chrome that just scratches because actually ride daily. Priceless.

Attached Thumbnails Street Bob vs Super Glide Custom-sbwfb_seat1.jpg  

Last edited by editbrain; 01-16-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Dickey that's kind of my thought process..both the same price and the Super Glide get's so much more. But then again, would i get so much more that's just going to rot out in the elements? I'm wondering if i should go with the Street Bob just for practicality's sake, and hold off on the dream bike until i've got a house with a garage.

Does anyone have a bike that's NOT garage kept? How do they hold up?

Last edited by emerican19; 01-16-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

You definitely "get more" with the Super Glide. By the time you buy parts to set it up for a passenger it gets a little spendy. They are essentially the same bike, just different rear fender and bars, then the chrome vs black motor.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Dickey that's kind of my though process..both the same price and the Super Glide get's so much more. But then again, would i get so much more that's just going to rot out in the elements? I'm wondering if i should go with the Street Bob just for practicality's sake, and hold off on the dream bike until i've got a house with a garage.

Does anyone have a bike that's NOT garage kept? How do they hold up?
I have a Super-glide-Custom that lives outside my front door under a cover. We don't have a garage only a car port and the cars take up all the real estate. The chrome is not going to be the major issue. You are going to have problems with the triple trees and the spokes, (these are not chrome). You would need to address them weekly, especially if it is raining, the spokes can go to hell fast(when humid/rainy under a cover), but the triples just tarnish to a dull/spotty finish if not addressed. Mothers polish a micro fiber towel and some elbow grease. My triple trees are more shiny than my chrome due to the polishing that I do. Near mirror finish. The more often you do polish them the less time intensive it becomes. If let them go for months you are going to spend some time getting them looking nice. Also the edges of your engine will get a bit corroded if you live in a high humidity area like I do. Again some mothers polish and you are good to go.

Again it is not the chrome that is going to require any polishing. Keep your bike cleaned, (I use harley cleaner on my chrome and it looks awesome), and the chrome will not be an issue.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Super Glide Custom for sure! No pretensions or "attitude" (God, I hate that word).

Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you on the bike decision (can't go wrong with either, IMO).

My parking situation is similar to yours, though: Two bikes and a car in ONE covered carport spot, with the help of some very understanding neighbors.

I live in the San Fernando Valley in SoCal, so relatively dry. I keep the bikes covered and have had no corrosion issues at all. I park the bikes all the way into the sheltered end -- the car's *** sticks out into the elements a little.

Unless you live near the beach, you should be OK. One tip: Be sure to get a cover that fits your bike without touching the ground. If it does, and the ground gets wet, you end up trapping your bike in a wet tent -- no bueno.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 AM
underdog2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess which bike I would recommend....

Quick Reply: Street Bob vs Super Glide Custom