General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Sturgis Worth Going To?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Back to the future, eh! I believe 2010 was the 70th At least the shirt I got says 69+1. Everyone should go at least once.
maybe he meant for his 75th birthday or HD 75th anniversery.

I first went in 1975 or 1976 (I was just a kid on a honda 500 and went with my dad) and it was pretty small back then. I have been going about every year since 2000 and never get tired of it.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
How many days/nights of crowds do you need? Plan your trip to include the beginning or end of the rally so you can enjoy the riding (Badlands, Custer National Park, Needles Highway, Devil's Tower WY, etc.) without the crowds.

Carl
I rode out to the 69th sturgis rally 09' ,left NH on friday 7/31 in the early am ,and arrived in sturgis S.D. on 8/2 late afternoon, was my first long trip,2,000 miles in 2.5 days,hotels at night while traveling to and from sturgis,10 nights at bulldog campground in sturgis ,prepaid reservations before the rally $100.00
I wasnt looking for a "all thrills campground" wanted something simple and close to the rally,home cooked meals where available at the campground for a modest price(breakfast/dinner),conveinance store on site,live local bands every night,real nice folks!

Most campgrounds in that area have a bus available to bring you into the rally from the campgrounds,i think it was $15.00 for the day round trip,last pick up around 2:30am in sturgis,back to camp ground.
the rally it's self was huge,thousands of bikes,people ,all kinds of ladies walking around 7/8th's naked,lol ,a bar every 25ft it seemed,lots of food,venders for just about anything you could imagine.......... basically a parking lot with bikes waiting on every street to make the loop around . I spent one day in sturgis...........the rest of the stay there was just amazing rides around the area.
I rode spearfish canyon,custer ,badlands,needles,Mt rushmore,walls drug,devils tower, alot of miles just jumping on roads for the scenic views through wyoming and montana.
for me a trip of a lifetime.......... 15 days round trip.........6,014 miles

I'm wanting to do the trip again and see more places i didnt have time to visit.
I had new tires put on for the trip,bike completely gone through and serviced by my dealer,with the trip being the focus of the service........ not a single problem with the bike,survived the worst hail storm in SD history,a tornado...........I've got some awesome memories of my first road trip!

I'll be looking forward to another trip out that way,maybe 2012

rain gear,rain gear,rain gear,LOL it rained almost every day,last about a hour or so and it cleared up nice. I had heard it can be cool /real hot during sturgis bike week,I guess i hit it just right never got more than 85 the entire trip.

worth going to sturgis.........................I thought so!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think all bikers should go to the major rallies ( Sturgis, Daytona, Myrtle Beach, etc) at least once. If for nothing else the ride and experience. If you don't like crowds, there are usually enough events and rides on the outskirts of the events to keep you busy. But I don't know how to explain the feeling of being around thousands of bikes, I love it.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

169 days, 1 hour, 12 minutes, and 41 seconds till I leave for Sturgis this year.

Last year was my first time going, and just the ride up and back from Charleston SC was a vacation in itself. Really neat being able to head in one direction for 4 days straight, never turning to get home and take care of work, kids, bills, and junk. You can do a lot of thinking; it's a good time to work stuff out in your head. Motorcycling is like therapy for me. I'm sure it's the same for others.

The riding around the Black Hills was super. I didn't have any problem with the traffic. Stay away from Sturgis proper and ride around the Black Hills visiting the small towns and you'll have a GREAT time. That is if you like to ride...

lp

Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have been twice, and probably won't go again, but it was definitely worth the trip. As others have said, getting in and out of town is a pain, but the riding in the hils is great. Lots to see and do. I did not camp but stayed in a hotel in Spearfish both times. Just far enough out of town and a nice area to start any days ride.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You buddy is right...just a stupid amount of people & traffic. Go the week before...stay the opening weekend, then leave. I was on a trip last year and met several people who did that. I was close to stugis so I had to stop and see forbmyself...had a hot dog & coke, walked down and left after an hour...too many people & traffic.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 AM
sooie
Tourer

im not the guy that likes crowds allso
we went the week before the rally, some of the venders were setting up
and happy to talk to ya (they were not burnt out yet) the sights are great around there. i think the venders love the first half and hate the end

Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM
softone
Cruiser

It's a mind set. If you don't mind crowds, like to have fun, intend on riding the marvelous roads, then by all means go. Personally I don't mind the crowds. You don't have to be in Sturgis proper every day. You should also learn the city side streets to get around the clogged main street. It's awesome to see all the bikes and talk to the riders.
Make a plan to spread out your days for riding, downtown Sturgis, maybe a concert and be sure to visit all the surrounding towns/dealerships. I thought it was great. Far more to do than Daytona.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Been four times in the last 8 years.. Will go again if any of my buds wanna go... Crowded YES.. Just don't stay in Sturgis.. stay in the smaller towns.. All the good riding is south of Sturgis.. Problem like others stated is all the bikes... You have to experience Sturgis at least once... I'd really like to go back and hit it the week before the official event... Vendors will be there but the crowds won't... Then the blackhills would be much less crowded and enjoyable... Go and draw your own conclusion.. But get reservations now as the good places book fast..

Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,788 Likes on 21,477 Posts

You will see more motorcycles among other things in one spot than you will in your whole life, and that's a fact. You may meet some pretty cool people too. It is expensive though, everybody out to make a buck and then some. Avoid the tourist traps though and it will be easier on your wallet. Otherwise you will pay $6 for a beer.

If you're ok with camping the campgrounds are the place to stay and usually the heart of the rally. FYI there is a bunch of campgrounds. I would look for one with trees though for shade and possibly/probably hail stones. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Is Sturgis Worth Going To?