General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help near Fort Benning Ga

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by doyle2325
My sisters son is entering boot camp May 17th and graduating July 21st from Fort Benning. I would like to fly to Georgia from Michigan rent a bike and be there when he graduates. I'm looking for a dealer that would rent bikes in the area, thinking that I might have to fly into Atlanta but not sure. I don't know that area at all and any help would be appreciated.

Doyle
OK, maybe a dumb question but is Army Basic Training at Ft Benning the same as Army Infantry Training at Ft Benning?

If so, according to this site, the graduation is held at the National Infantry Museum and Soldier Center which is located just outside the actual base...no check points to go through.

I have visited the Solider Center a couple times and it's very well done. The parade field (next to the museum) is large with a covered seating area for about 2000 people.

I live about 30 from the Atlanta airport and 15 minutes from Earl Small's or Atlanta HD. If you need a ride (and I'm still in the area), give me a shout and I'll try to help.

Congrats to the new Solider!

Last edited by Pine Tree; 02-15-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:46 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

HD says the nearest rental is Earl Small's HD, north of Atlanta in Marietta.

The Army requires all riders going on a post to have an MSF card, DOT helmet, long pants and sleeves, boots, gloves and, I think, bright/reflective shirt/jacket/etc. (a lot of people in the Army wear a PT belt across their body). I do recall seeing that the MSF card requirement was going to apply to everybody, Army or civilian, so I'm thinking the whole reg does now.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

X2 on Earl Small's - they're good people. If I recall correctly, they'll even pick you up from the airport and also take you back when you turn in the bike.

When you call the provost, double-check where the graduation is. The Soldier Center and Infantry Museum is definitely worth a visit, and it's off-post so no weird requirements.

Georgia is a helmet law state.

I'm in Columbus ... a bit far for me to give you a ride from the airport, but if I'm not in meetings that day, I'm game. What the heck, it's a reason to ride.

IMO, avoid Chattahoochee unless you want a souvenir t-shirt.

PM me if you're interested in lunch while you're in town.

James

Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Benning in July = You earned that blue cord.
Tell your nephew I said thanks for his service.

Why is the sky blue?......Because God loves the Infantry.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
doyle2325
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again thank you all again, called the Provost graduation is at the Infantry Museum unless there is bad weather then it would be moved to the base. If moved to the base they told me I would be issued a limited entry day pass, and I'm required to ware full gloves, eye protection, long sleeves, helmet, cycle endorsement and vest or safety strap. Went to Pine Tree's link (great site) and there is quite a lot to do in the area can't wait.

If I have time Pine Tree and ShineySide I'll take you up on your offers, and likewise if your ever in the West Michigan area.

Last edited by doyle2325; 02-15-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The requirement is only if you are in the military or work on post. If you are visiting, just the required safety equipment. I do not have a current card and ride on an Army post all the time. However, I am only going to the gym. But, as stated before, contacting the provost marshal or safety off is your best bet.
I graduated from infantry school in 1985. I bet you are proud of your nephew.

Originally Posted by brenn
HD says the nearest rental is Earl Small's HD, north of Atlanta in Marietta.

The Army requires all riders going on a post to have an MSF card, DOT helmet, long pants and sleeves, boots, gloves and, I think, bright/reflective shirt/jacket/etc. (a lot of people in the Army wear a PT belt across their body). I do recall seeing that the MSF card requirement was going to apply to everybody, Army or civilian, so I'm thinking the whole reg does now.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
I graduated from infantry school in 1985.
What month? I graduated that year in May. One of the last groups thru Harmony Church.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
lastson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your nephews service! Did Airborne down there and tech school at Ft. Gordon. LOVE Georgia!

Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did basic and Infantry school along with Airborne back in 1978. It made my day when some of my family showed up. While other kids are sitting home spounging on mom and dad this kid decide he wanted to be a man. Be proud of him and show up.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

August of 1985, I was at Harmony church too.

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
What month? I graduated that year in May. One of the last groups thru Harmony Church.

Quick Reply: Help near Fort Benning Ga