General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One of those times you wish you had a photograph

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
bbach
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of those times you wish you had a photograph

February in North Dakota. Temps have been warm for a handful of days, getting up into the high 30's today. The highways have gotten dry. I had the afternoon off so I took the Harley out of mothballs. After a good warm up and after I negotiated the water and sand on the city streets I made it to the open road. I hit the throttle for the first time this year. Wow! I'm riding along on a two laner with the ditches and fields on each side filled with snow and low and behold I pull up to a couple snowmobile riders riding along in the ditch. They could not maintain my speed because of all the approaches they had to fly over so I glided on by with a wave. I'd love to have a picture of me passing some snow sledders on my Harley. That was just too cool. No pun intended.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While both machines are fun.. Yours by far is the best. Especially this time of year where you live. Gotta live for the moment! Glad you got to ride. Only thing is that its gonna make the rest of the winter seem like for ever now that you got out this 1 time.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
zird00
Tourer

Originally Posted by bbach
February in North Dakota. Temps have been warm for a handful of days, getting up into the high 30's today.
That is warm? I love the south. High 70s today. I just don't know if I could survive a long drawn out winter without riding.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:35 AM
bbach
Cruiser

Originally Posted by zird00
That is warm? I love the south. High 70s today. I just don't know if I could survive a long drawn out winter without riding.
I hear ya. I don't know how I stand it either. However, low unemployment rate = able to make a living. Guess I'll be here for a while.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is warm. As a matter of fact, I think it is downright balmy. Our high for today will probably be about -30*C.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:17 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,335 Likes on 2,206 Posts

You waved to snowmobiles? WTF is happening here?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM
zird00
Tourer

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
I think it is warm. As a matter of fact, I think it is downright balmy. Our high for today will probably be about -30*C.
So for all of us that use Fahrenheit that is about... 20 below? It doesn't get balmy here until about 105* F with 100% humidity. I will let you do the math on that one Can't drive fast enough to cool down and you NEVER want to stop.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So for all of us that use Fahrenheit that is about... 20 below? It doesn't get balmy here until about 105* F with 100% humidity. I will let you do the math on that one Can't drive fast enough to cool down and you NEVER want to stop.
-30C=-22F. Our nighttime temp was -40C=-40F. 105F=40.55556C
Gotta love conversion charts on the 'Net.
After -40C/F...it doesn't matter how cold it is. It's STILL frikken COLD! You would think that after living here for 55 years I would be used to it. Now I can't wait until I'm able to move South....if ever.
Oh well....summer is coming around....one of these months.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya'll are crazy! It was 38 here this morning and that's cold enough for me though I've riden in 24 degree weather. I'd prefer it warmer but at least here I don't have to deal with snow. Of course, I'd probably not mind the "cold" as much around here if I had a windshield and better cold weather gear...right now my gear consists of regular thick gloves, a hoodie under my riding jacket, and leather chaps over my Dickies...no thermals.

And 105 with 100% humidity!? That's not riding, thats being on a Harley powered submarine!!! I'll take the dry heat of the 118 degree desert anytime!

Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
alauer
Intermediate

Gotta love ND eh. HAHA from Grand Forks

Quick Reply: One of those times you wish you had a photograph