General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King EFI fuel tank help (swap)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
dannycalderone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King EFI fuel tank help (swap)

Hello all, I have a 99 road king with Marelli injection. Back in the summer I purchased a set of tins on Craigslist from a guy who advertised them as being from his 99 rk. I sent them out for paint and while anxiously beginning the long awaited install the other day, I realized the tank is different from mine. I am guessing it is for the Delphi injection. On my bike the fuel level sender is beneath the fuel gauge and this tank the only thing beneath the gauge is the through tube to the bottom of the tank.
Does anyone have any idea about the possibility of using this tank if I were to get a hold of a set of Delphi internals? Are the pump pressures and volumes similar? Or can I install my existing pump in the newer tank and rework the sending unit wires? I am comfortable performing any and all work myself.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dannycalderone
Hello all, I have a 99 road king with Marelli injection. Back in the summer I purchased a set of tins on Craigslist from a guy who advertised them as being from his 99 rk. I sent them out for paint and while anxiously beginning the long awaited install the other day, I realized the tank is different from mine. I am guessing it is for the Delphi injection. On my bike the fuel level sender is beneath the fuel gauge and this tank the only thing beneath the gauge is the through tube to the bottom of the tank.
Does anyone have any idea about the possibility of using this tank if I were to get a hold of a set of Delphi internals? Are the pump pressures and volumes similar? Or can I install my existing pump in the newer tank and rework the sending unit wires? I am comfortable performing any and all work myself.
Sounds like you bought a tank from a carbed bike. Won't work, sorry.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:07 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

I was under the impression 99's went to the delphi? Can you not install the fuel guage,etc out of your old tank into the new? Might find out if the pumps are basically the same,fuel pressure,gallons flowed per hour,etc.As for extending wires,I wouldn't think that would be a problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

sorry...guess it sounds like I'm asking the same questions!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 99's still used the MM injection. I was just inside my tank yesterday replacing the fuel filter and I can tell you the sending unit and fuel pump are under the fuel gauge. Didn't look at how they mount though so I would see if there is a way to move your fuel pump and sending unit to your new tank.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

this tank the only thing beneath the gauge is the through tube to the bottom of the tank.
This is your main clue that it's a carbed tank. This is where the petcock screws in. Early injected tanks have 2 holes. One is a high pressure line and the other is return line.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike T
This is your main clue that it's a carbed tank. This is where the petcock screws in. Early injected tanks have 2 holes. One is a high pressure line and the other is return line.
never thought about that,I just assumed it was a fuely tank....if thats the case,he's prob. screwed.I know you can buy stuff to convert a fuely tank to carb,but I don't think you can visa versa............

Old 02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
dannycalderone
1st Gear

The guy I bought it from and I had an at length discussion on tuning Marelli injection with the SERT, he was full aware that my bike was MM injected and told me that his was as well (these tins were supposedly on his bike). This tank I got from him has 2 holes on the bottom for feed / return but the well for the fuel gauge is not cut through for a sender, it only has the thin tube for the level gauge wiring to pass through.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

This tank I got from him has 2 holes on the bottom for feed / return but the well for the fuel gauge is not cut through for a sender, it only has the thin tube for the level gauge wiring to pass through.
Describes the tank on my '01 perfectly. Are all the guts in the new tank? If so, seems to me you could just rewire for the sending unit.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Upload some pics if you would.

Quick Reply: Road King EFI fuel tank help (swap)