General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy two brand new Harleys, want some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kcmfg
Would it be crazy for me to try and have them include $1000 in accessories for EACH bike? ($2000 total).
Yes - I doubt that happening. Harley dealers are never as desparate to make a sale as Ford dealers, from what I've seen.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just wonder why a lot of the post are against financing and thinking this couple will fall on hard times. I never saw a mention of place of employment or type of job. I know its hard to believe, but some folks still have a pretty secure job.......well in order not to change the subject, definitely shop around for financing, and give the dealership the attitude you want the bike, but you can do without it, don't seem exited, remember they need to sell the bike more than you need to buy it.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:37 AM
MJR28
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Buying a bike or a car is like playing poker. The salesman and the house love the player that shows his hand from the outset but it's not too late. I always research in advance what I want and then phone ahead to condition the seller to take less. It's an old trick. If it's advertised for 10 grand, I phone and say I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than nine and ask whether it's worth coming for a look. If he says yes, then you know you won't pay more than nine but you can still pay less if you work hard when you get there. Not too late though... Check out what deals you can get elsewhere then go back and crunch the dealer. If he won't match your best offer then walk with or without your hundred dollar deposit. As far as financing your bikes goes, as a previous poster said "only you know your financial situation" If you can do it comfortably and it's a priority then only you know if you can afford it. I've bought about 34 bikes in my life and only a few less cars. Some I've shared with the bank and some I've owned outright. The bikes that belonged to me and the bank always went as fast as the ones I owned, but when my kids were young and I had other things I had to pay for I do remember unloading a couple because I found it hard to justify what it was costing me in total to keep them. When I calculated the interest rate and depreciation and added that to my annual registration and insurance costs. These days I don't owe anybody anything because I'm getting older and I don't mind indulging myself a bit. In your case, if your comfortable with it, the financed bikes will be cherished as much as the fully owned. If it's a struggle, that won't be the case but only you'll know. I/we might be overstepping the mark giving advice on financial matters and I'm not making any judgements or assumptions. You may well be able to buy and sell me times over. Just trying to lend my experience to a fellow rider. Hope you get a great deal, enjoy the **** out of 'em and ride safe.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, I have to say I completly disagree with Garand. If our world, much less just our country, ran that way most of us would still be riding horses as our main source of transportation and living in houses made of mud and sticks. I can see where financing 100% on "toys" can result in making a bad situation worse, but if the buyer is responsible everything will be just fine and it gives the buyer much more time to do what he/she enjoys...riding. Did I mention that time is the only resource you can not get more of? Anyway, off the soapbox now...To the OP; work the deal, check all your options (other dealers and other lenders), and most importantly congrats and have fun with the new bikes!

Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 AM
kcmfg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am calling a few banks first to get their rates. I also plan on not signing anything today and shopping around on Saturday at a few other dealers. I'll shoot high and settle somewhere in between for the deal.

As for everyone telling me not to finance, I'm gonna hold my tongue and just say I am more than aware of what is involved with financing a "toy" as you call it. We are both actually selling our pleasure vehicles for the bikes, but are waiting till spring to do so, so financing it until then.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:34 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kcmfg
We are both actually selling our pleasure vehicles for the bikes, but are waiting till spring to do so, so financing it until then.
yeh, only rich people buy brand new Harleys outright. never met a rich biker myself

Last edited by schumacher; 02-25-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
dothedoo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with financing a bike.

In your particular situation, having even a small deposit down on one of the bikes is telling the salesperson you're already committed regardless of the deal he gives you.

I would spend the next few days shopping around somewhere else and wait 'till that dealer calls you back wondering if you changed your mind.

I'm serious...do not go back there until they call looking for you.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with purstockeracer - life is short - get them an enjoy them. only you know your financial situation, if you can afford the notes, do it.

Originally Posted by purestockracer
Don't worry about all the little Mickey Mouse B.S. , get the bikes that yourself & your wife want, do to them whatever you want to do,as far as customizing. But most importantly , RIDE SAFELY , & ENJOY YOURSELVES !!!!!!!!
and don't come back here telling us when deal you got - because someone will "ONE UP" you about what a great deal they got or how the dealer gave them a case of tee-shirts, or life time oil changes, or whatever....

just do it and ride!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recall the OP asking for financial planning advice. Sheesh. Some of you money nannies are ridiculous.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
yeh, only rich people buy brand new Harleys outright. never met a rich biker myself
Kinda my line of thinking.

To the OP. If you are serious, don't let the dealer know how anxious you are. Take your time, don't commit, make them come after you. Then ask for more.

I drug buying a new pickup years back , over a month. After I got what I wanted for the price I wanted, I got them to fill the 30 gal tank for me.

Last edited by glideridemike; 02-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Quick Reply: About to buy two brand new Harleys, want some advice