General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ugliest motor ever

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
novice47
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ugliest motor ever

For the last week I've been trying to clean this damn engine, its out of the frame and sitting in my living room on on an engine stand thats bolted to an old table... my girl does not particularly like this boo hoo! I've tried brass wire brushes, paint stripper, scotch brite pads, degreaser, gunk, a whole lot of elbow grease and I am real close to getting out the big guns (power tools). This thing is about as old as me and just about as stubborn too. Thinking now maybe I should just paint the dam thing wrinkle black and be done with it. After all I'm not particularly the kind that cares much about looks but it needs some TLC PDQ or the other half is gonna make sure i'm MIA. Anybody has any ideas or been down this road before your input would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
anonymous_1
Tourer

Just paint it. If its this hard to get it clean think about what a pain it will be to keep it clean.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:52 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 601 Posts

Find a shop that has a big enough vat full of carb cleaner that'll let you submerse it for a few days and give it a good soakin'. Should be safe for aluminum, cast and lighter metals. This is assuming that you are intending to overhaul it?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Default Oven Cleaner

You need to clean it to paint it.

DON'T TRY OVEN CLEANER (Ask me how I know... Not on my HD but elsewhere)

Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
novice47
Novice

Yea I just went through the top and bottom ends and surprisingly enough it looks like everything is in order, even had a new Torrington bearing, Jim's lifters, new cam and adjustable pushrods. Thats not a bad idea, its so dirty that I can't tell whats old dried up oil and whats paint. I would probably want to take that plastic breather gear out though so the chemicals don't eat that up. Anomymous_1 has a point too and I've heard that paint Harley sells is good stuff. I don't understand why the dude that sold it to me would go through all that work in the bottom end and not spray it with a hose every once in a while

Old 03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
novice47
Novice

You know I was just thinking oven cleaner the other day HAHA! I'll take your word for it though I had my reservations about it too

Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 601 Posts

Another option would be to find a shop that has one of the vertical parts washers/machines. They use a water based chemical with high pressure and heat. Works real good on stuff like heads, intakes, etc.

Or...put it in a bead blaster to really clean it up. Just be sure it's sealed up tight. Of course it'll FU any shiny stuff that's on it most likely...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,865 Likes on 6,239 Posts

Had a neighbor once who cleaned his KZ 900 engine with Easy-Off. It looked great for about 2 days. Then, all this oxidized crud started to grow on it. I don't think you could even tell where the fins were after a while. Looked like a robot threw up on it.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

mag wheel cleaner. basicly diluted muratic acid.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
novice47
Novice

yea I got some of that aluminum wheel polisher I wonder if thats the same stuff you're talking about. Hey by the way didn't I see that Triumph in an issue of the horse? Cool bike either way

Quick Reply: ugliest motor ever