General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We aren't being seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We aren't being seen

Last week and this week there has been two fatal accidents where the biker in both instances was not seen. One fatal accident the offender made the famous left hand turn in front of a biker. In the other a man stopped and then pulled into the intersection blocking the right of way with a biker apparently unable to stop in time. Both instances the bikers right of way was violated by someone who's only excuse was "I didn't see him." I live in a semi rural area so this is above the norm. Point is that apparently people aren't seeing us and we need to be more defensive to survive. Not bothering to go too much in details or rants over just punishments ---point is survival.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,354 Likes on 2,371 Posts

It's not only us. A lady killed two in a cage and all she got was 18 months suspended sentence plus 1 day already served. Life is cheap here in MI.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I believe in brighter helmets something other than plain black at night.

I am sorry for all those involved.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
MisterPX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretend that you're invisible, ride accordingly.

FWIW, we've had people broadside 80' of bright white and teal tractor trailer in daylight. Guess what they said? "didn't see it".

Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,536 Likes on 654 Posts

You can never let your guard down...thanks for the reminder.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 181 Posts

Yep, nobody sees us. Most figure that out on their second ride. By the 5th ride you should realize that the few who do see you will try and run you down.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cagers make left turns in front of 18 wheelers. And bikes make them in front of cagers. Doesn't mean it's because they don't see them.

But it sounds better for the accident report to say you didnt see someone rather than that you were just in too much of hurry or weren't paying attention.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A few years ago, a semi didn't see a group of bikes stopped at an intersection & ran right through them, killing several. I've always said that the biggest danger in riding isn't your own skills (for most) but the oblivious idiots who don't see you.

I love riding and don't plan to stop anytime soon. ATGATT is a bit too much for me, but I do try to improve my odds by riding safe, staying aware, and using some safety equipment like the LED taillights (brightass BAL1... unbelieveable) and a headlight modulator. My stock pipes are loud enough to save me (and my hearing).

Funny how there's another thread right now where everyone's talking about taking all the reflectors off their bikes. Guess its better to be cool.

olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started wearing a high vis vest this year! Been riding for over 40 years and with all the close calls,decided it was time!

ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Saw a picture on the local news. Head-on collision between motorcycle and a car. Rider was wearing a helmet but it was of no use. Rider died as a result of the collision. Never heard any more details.

Quick Reply: We aren't being seen