General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heart patients and riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

One of my best buddies had the quad surgery on his 50th birthday in early September. Below is a picture of his first ride, a 40 mile lap around the lake just a few days before Christmas. He's the one with dark glasses and he has been going strong ever since. He did a lot of upper body exercising, working on chest muscles as soon as he was able.

Last edited by Lakerat; 03-04-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

A lot of uplifting, positive stories out there! Thanks for sharing these. Definitely helps in seeing the cup half full!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I also snapped a picture of him in the ICU with his surgical bonnet and all the tubes and WILL show it to him as needed when he is not behaving. He doesn't know the picture exists yet.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Stent in subclavian artery in December '10 followed by single bypass in Jan '11.

Minimally invasive by-pass so docs didn't have to cut breastbone.

Saw cardiologist a few weeks ago and I'm cleared to ride when I feel up to it (and I do) but weather isn't cooperating.

Did move the bike around last week and felt fine.

Did your doc recommend a "cardiac rehab" program?

Mine did and I start next week. Relative of mine had bypass said he got a lot out the program.

You'll be riding in no time!!!

Sammi

Last edited by Sammi; 03-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get on the bike and ride!! If it has to do with the Heart I have had it done. Less than 2 years ago at the old age of 49 I had to have open Heart surgery to repair my mytril valve. All went well with that but I developed fluid on the lung which I cant even come close to describing how painfull the surgery was after they broke my ribs to get to my lung. While laying there that's when I said to myself if I make it I'm going to get me a Harley and live like each day is my last. Now I'm all healed up and on no med's. You should not have any problems and I wish you the best!

Last edited by SuperglideKen; 03-04-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
Stent in subclavian artery in December '10 followed by single bypass in Jan '11.

Minimally invasive by-pass so docs didn't have to cut breastbone.

Saw cardiologist a few weeks ago and I'm cleared to ride when I feel up to it (and I do) but weather isn't cooperating.

Did move the bike around last week and felt fine.

Did your doc recommend a "cardiac rehab" program?

Mine did and I start next week. Relative of mine had bypass said he got a lot out the program.

You'll be riding in no time!!!

Sammi
Got literature on cardiac rehab. Only been 3 days. Still heeling where they penetrated the groin. No nothing until after Sunday. Planning on rehab without question.

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
Get on the bike and ride!! If it has to do with the Heart I have had it done. Less than 2 years ago at the old age of 49 I had to have open Heart surgery to repair my mytril valve. All went well with that but I developed fluid on the lung which I cant even come close to describing how painfull the surgery was after they broke my ribs to get to my lung. While laying there that's when I said to myself if I make it I'm going to get me a Harley and live like each day is my last. Now I'm all healed up and on no med's. You should not have any problems and I wish you the best!
Glad you are doing well and off Meds. They told me Plavix and 325 mg aspirin for at least a year so no clogging on stents. Still adjusting to meds. Short breath yesterday (BP meds), today, rash around neck (dont know why yet).... still got to work out the bugs. Starting Monday,I plan on starting some activities and build from there.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Kanelakos: My family has CAD...all of them. I have had high BP since age 25 (33 years ago) and on meds since age 30. Wait a few days if you are on meds until you are used to them and ride like always. Your danger now is lack of exercise and what you eat NOT the motorcycle.

My Dad had bypass at 58 my olde brother had it at 60 2 weeks ago. So far all is good for me but I am going to go to a semi vegatarian low fat diet 100%.

Fast food...if you eat it is the most dangerous thing you can eat. So, enjoy the bike and get your mind right about your diet.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

As soon as U go back to work and can have sex,, surely U can ride Ur bike.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 243 Likes on 107 Posts

Two heart attacks, second one "killed me", they had to jump start me to bring me back. 7 stents and a quad bypass, I am on a shopping list of med's, but I do feel great. Wife says I have more color now that I ever have had. Everyone needs blood work and stress test, everyone. You feel good because the symptoms take years to show themselves. I blamed everything on just being "tired". Life is precious, take care of yourself.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel good, can drive a car and boink the OL, get on the bike and ride it like you stole it.

Quick Reply: Heart patients and riding