General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heart patients and riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Heart patients and riding

Well, on March 1st 2011 I had a cardiac catheter procedure done and had two stents put in my heart. (50 yrs old and always in decent shape- non-smoker). Either bad genes or luck or both. Oh well, whats done is done. Should be back to work on the 14th. (tin knocker).

Prognosis is good just need to take meds, eat better and exercise more. Thank God this was found and done before any damage to heart muscle occurred... that being said, are there others on this forum that have had this done or even open heart surgery done and continue to ride?

I am curious about being safe and riding with this condition. Doc did not raise a flag when I told him that I can't wait to ride again.
Any problems, trouble with meds? Thanks in advance and "think spring"

(PS: I apologize for being cranky on some other threads these past couple weeks as my anxiety was quite high. )

Last edited by kanelakos; 03-04-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not have direct experience but Dad is 83. Just had his first two stents and 2nd (new and improved! ) pacemaker installed.

He does not ride but drives (well), walks 9 or sometimes 18 holes of golf carrying his clubs, still getting into projects around the house.

I guess my point is looking at him if I were to be half as good as him at that age I will be riding. Maybe not very long, but still swinging a leg over. Glad procedures went well for you and my guess is by the time you fully recuperate this question will probably seem silly.

Hope so!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:18 AM
cacinc77
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Heart trouble

I had Coronary Bypass Surgery (triple) 3 years ago. Was about 4 months till I could ride. It is three years now and I ride like I did before the operation. I am 67 years old, and expect to ride for many years to come. I am on a very good diet and exercise program, and actually feel much better now than before the operation. The broke my chest cavity open to do mine, your stents should have been less evasive surgery. Good luck and keep on riding.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cacinc77
I had Coronary Bypass Surgery (triple) 3 years ago.... The broke my chest cavity open to do mine, your stents should have been less evasive surgery.
About the same for me, only I had quadruple bypass in 2005 at the ripe old age of 48. Hasn't effected me riding.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 AM
evil-1
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a heart attach Feb, 2010 at the age of 36! All that was suppost to can back bad from testing was good, they're still not sure what caused it. So don't let it stop ya. If it gets to the point that YOU feel it's unsafe for yourself and others on the road, thats when you quit. Until then, ride and enjoy.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by cacinc77
I had Coronary Bypass Surgery (triple) 3 years ago. Was about 4 months till I could ride. It is three years now and I ride like I did before the operation. I am 67 years old, and expect to ride for many years to come. I am on a very good diet and exercise program, and actually feel much better now than before the operation. The broke my chest cavity open to do mine, your stents should have been less evasive surgery. Good luck and keep on riding.
Yes, my stents were much less intrusive. Glad you are doing well.

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
About the same for me, only I had quadruple bypass in 2005 at the ripe old age of 48. Hasn't effected me riding.
48!! Man, I thought I was unlucky! Again, glad you are doing well also!

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
I do not have direct experience but Dad is 83. Just had his first two stents and 2nd (new and improved! ) pacemaker installed.

He does not ride but drives (well), walks 9 or sometimes 18 holes of golf carrying his clubs, still getting into projects around the house.

I guess my point is looking at him if I were to be half as good as him at that age I will be riding. Maybe not very long, but still swinging a leg over. Glad procedures went well for you and my guess is by the time you fully recuperate this question will probably seem silly.

Hope so!
In time.... silly quesion.... hope so!

I am sure you guys (except IndyClassic ) are on BP meds, plavix and such. No issues with light headedness, balance ect.? They started me out on too high of BP meds, was running out of breath and dizzy, BP was very low at docs yesterday and they cut me off of it.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 AM
kanelakos
Road Master

Originally Posted by evil-1
I had a heart attach Feb, 2010 at the age of 36! All that was suppost to can back bad from testing was good, they're still not sure what caused it. So don't let it stop ya. If it gets to the point that YOU feel it's unsafe for yourself and others on the road, thats when you quit. Until then, ride and enjoy.
36 years old/ heart attack does not sound right. How you feeling now? It was just a year ago for you. I had a stress test last year (3-2010) and passed with flying colors. Had no problems all summer long. 3 days ago they found 2 arteries with 80% plus blockage doing the cath. My blockage took years to develop( not one year). My point is if they just did stress test on you...IMO, its not good enough. Insist on a CT scan or heart cath. I did. It more than probably saved my life.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kanelakos
I am sure you guys (except IndyClassic ) are on BP meds, plavix and such. No issues with light headedness, balance ect.?
Nope, no ill effects.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:14 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

67 years old and had a mechanical aortic valve installed and two bypasses in 1996. Meds don't have any effect on riding and not limited from a physical standpoint; still bench press 300 lb and squat 525 lb.

Have fun and ride with the same care as you did before, safe that is.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've no medical knowledge of your condition
BUT I wish you a speedy recovery and many more miles

Quick Reply: Heart patients and riding