General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Sixty7
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Storage?

Looking for general opinions, searched for answers and didn't find much.

I've been looking to buy a preowned Dyna for some time now. Finally settled on an 09 Street Bob and would be buying it outright, no financing. Never owned an HD but have been riding for 20+ years, mostly dirt bikes (I know, I know, apples and oranges).

I own a townhouse with no garage and am not able to store the bike in a shed since getting to my back yard would involve riding through an area that stays very wet for most of the year (common area drainage) and would likely be a big hassle. Any type of enclosure in the front area of the house is not allowed by my HOA. I have a garage available to me for winter storage but it's not really an option during warmer months since it's 60 miles or so away.

I live in Maryland, given our winters realistically I would be riding for 7 months or less out of the year and storing it in the available garage all winter. Summers are high humidity, 85 degrees +, with consistent rain. Bike would be ridden 3-4 days a week, both for work commuting (25 miles roundtrip) and for weekend fun. My townhouse is at the very end of a dead end street, little traffic other than residents but the possibility for theft is always present.

Does it make sense to store it under a cover for the 7 months I'd be riding it with some type (or multiple types) of security or am I just asking for trouble both from weather related issues and potential theft related issues? We'll end up moving sometime in the next 3 years since the family is outgrowing the house given our latest addition. I do have 3 dedicated on-street parking spots to use, so it would be wedged between my pickup and my wife's van.

What precautions should I take other than a good quality cover and security system(s) if I do end up making the purchase?

Thank you all for any opinions/help.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Back in the 80's I had to keep my bike (a Honda back then) in front of the house with a cover on it. Someone did steal the cover once but left the bike alone. I bought a new cover and put a lock on it. As far as someone stealing the bike...well that's what insurance is for. You have to do what you have to do to ride.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at CycleShell.com, I like that best for a cover since it does not make contact with the bike. The bottom is a hard plastic so once covered no moisture can get under the cover from the ground, and the hole thing can be folded up and put away. I have seen more damage from bike covers traping moisture than just not covering the bike at all.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Equip the bike with LoJack, a security system, a front wheel lock & cover the bike. That should cover all the bases.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM
never say never
Tourer

i live in minnesota and weather up here is very harsh i do not think i would not of started riding motorcycles if i would of had to keep the bikes outside for such a long period of time,but you still have to remember that they are still just a motorcycle and will last a long time if you choose to take care of them in your case this would be keeping it waxed up nice and trying to keep the elements off the old girl.i choose to cover my bikes with cotton clothes they seem to keep the moisture wicked away from the bike.but to be honest with you i cant live with out a garage!!

Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Sixty7
3rd Gear

Thanks for the opinions so far. Hadnt really thought of LoJack, dealer mentioned it but it didnt even really register. I'm thinking security wise, what CWDoc115 mentioned should cover it. Will moisture be a huge issue if it's out of the cover 3-4 days a week. Not just talking about an hour or two ride but out most of the day? Waxing for sure, the Steet Bob I'm looking at isnt really dripping with chrome, mostly blacked out above and beyond what comes standard.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
never say never
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sixty7
Thanks for the opinions so far. Hadnt really thought of LoJack, dealer mentioned it but it didnt even really register. I'm thinking security wise, what CWDoc115 mentioned should cover it. Will moisture be a huge issue if it's out of the cover 3-4 days a week. Not just talking about an hour or two ride but out most of the day? Waxing for sure, the Steet Bob I'm looking at isnt really dripping with chrome, mostly blacked out above and beyond what comes standard.
do not wax it if it has denim paint.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For storing it over a 5 month period, if I were in your shoes, I would consider storing it at either a friend's place if he has a heated garage (of course yo should give something in return), or rent space in a storage depot, preferably one with electric so you can use a small portable heater and plug in your battery tender.
I keep mine in an unheated garage for about that length of time but pull the battery and put it on a tender in the house. I have no problem with moisture or salt as i live in a very dry climate, but frikken cold.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 181 Posts

Not the cheapest option but have you thought about an enclosed trailer? Almost as good as a garage.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live on Long Island and our winters are harsher than Maryland. I store my bike outside all winter under cover. Yes, a lot of dirt gets blown up under the cover, but the rain and snow are kept off of it. A good bike cover is vented so there are no worries about condensation under it. This winter I got caught with my pants down and never got the battery out of the bike before we had the big blizzard and snow after snow. Thankfully, I always throw stabilizer in my gas just in case. Finally able to uncover tiia couple of weeks ago. Figured the battery would be gone with such a cold an harsh winter. Nope, bike started right up.
Just as long as you keep a good coat of wax on the bike, storing under a cover works. It may get dirty from the dirt and dust blown under the cover, but that just requires a little cleanup, no big deal.

Quick Reply: Outside Storage?