General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller/Compact Motorcycle Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Smaller/Compact Motorcycle Trailer?

I have this wild hair up my *** right now and am thinking about buying a small portable motorcycle trailer. I live in an apartment, so I'd either have to get permission to have a trailer there, rent out a small storage spot, or get something crazy portable like the trailer below and actually keep it inside my apartment or car.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/trailer-in-a-bag.htm

I have a few questions for you experienced folks that have experience with the trailer above OR any other small/compact trailer.

I have a gay little 4-banger PT Cruiser that will need a hitch installed. I assume I could easily pull a small trailer with my Sportster on it behind this gay car. True? Probably wouldn't even notice it there? Should be really light and easy, right?

Also, are these small trailers good on the highway? I mean, do they feel stable?

I went to Lowe's yesterday and checked out a few trailers (not the portable type) and was amazed at how cheap and flimsy the expanded metal floor was... Yikes! There's no way I'll go for one of those.

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions, wanting to make sure my gay car can pull it, and hear about any experiences at all with this.

Thanks for any info at all!

PS - My bike isn't a trailer queen, but I'd like to be able to pull it behind my gay car with my daughters while traveling.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

This one seems cool too. It comes across as built a little better, but I have no idea if that's the case.

http://www.discount-trailers.com/fol...le-trailer.htm

Doesn't fit in a bag, but still a small footprint compared to a "real" non-folding trailer.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

seems like in here last yr someone had a smaller trailer,, it started bouncing around back there and ended up in the ditch... the bike didn't look so good anymore...

Bottom line,,,, PASS...

Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Geeeez... That is VERY appealing! Heck, I could carry that in the back of the freaking car.

I wonder if there are any major problems hauling a bike like that? Obviously tire wear on the motorcycle, but what about other issues? Know of any?

Originally Posted by jstreet0204

Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

There are lots of positive reviews of these trailers. Of course, the website only shows the positive stuff, but still...

If my options are to take a chance with one of these trailers OR to just not take my bike, I think I'll take the chance. he he

Originally Posted by oct1949
seems like in here last yr someone had a smaller trailer,, it started bouncing around back there and ended up in the ditch... the bike didn't look so good anymore...

Bottom line,,,, PASS...

Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by SgtThump
Geeeez... That is VERY appealing! Heck, I could carry that in the back of the freaking car.

I wonder if there are any major problems hauling a bike like that? Obviously tire wear on the motorcycle, but what about other issues? Know of any?

I honesty haven't researched it much. I saw one a while back at a rally (different name brand), but it was sturdy as hell. For the price it would be nice to have for the occasional tow.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
I had one similar to this back in the 70's and hauled my bike down to Keesler AFB in Biloxi MS, then back to OHIO when I got out. I had no problems with it, but it does take 2 strong men to lift the front end up to get it in and out.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a speed rating for that setup. If I remeber when I was looking at them you were not supposed to tow above 35mph. But I cant remember for sure. Also it will work with the small trailer hitch setup. Pt cruiser will have a class 1 hitch setup, which is a 1 1/4 inch receiver. That setup uses a 2x2 inch receiver setup.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:03 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Originally Posted by scottwilliamson
I had one similar to this back in the 70's and hauled my bike down to Keesler AFB in Biloxi MS, then back to OHIO when I got out. I had no problems with it, but it does take 2 strong men to lift the front end up to get it in and out.
This one has an adapter to hook up a 2x4 ramp. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with that.
What this thing needs is an integrated bumper jack mechanism where you could lower it to the ground, hook up the bike, then raise it and lock it in place.

Quick Reply: Smaller/Compact Motorcycle Trailer?