General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Iron Cross Audio Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 04:39 PM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Another Iron Cross Audio Review

After reading all the positive reviews I sent my busted Harman Kardon head unit into Iron Cross for repair. The radio was not turning on and had some serious display issues, it would light up orange but no numbers or letters on the screen at all. When I called Iron Cross they initially thought it was a moisture problem but after inspection the damage appeared to be caused by excessive vibration. They also noticed problems I didn't even know about like a skipping cd player which they replaced. Anyway, they received the radio on a Tuesday and called me at 11am Wednesday morning to let me know that the radio was fixed and on its way, I had it back on Friday afternoon. Thats fast service. Total bill was $265, 250 for the fix and update of the radio, 15 for s&h. A definite positive review from me.

The following 2 users liked this post by rg567:
ictghost (03-21-2024), leachman (08-23-2020)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow you have a radio on a motorcycle, what next

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
wow you have a radio on a motorcycle, what next
Electric start too.....no more kicking for me

Old 06-27-2014, 10:52 AM
tnsoldier_1977
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Negative review

I have tried contacting Iron Cross several times since I sent my radio to them. I have emailed, called, left voice mails. But no one replies or returns my call.
I decided to do a Yelp review and I am talking with an attorney to see what my next options are.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/iron-cross-a...Z0jnmaSKmhnnog

Old 08-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Mbarz
Advanced
Default iPod interface

I got the iPod interface kit in February 2015 used it that year no problems also was ok part of this year 2016 and now it doesn't work tried numerous times to contact iron cross to help since I bought it from them took over a week and there response they don't sell it anymore would refer to company and now nothing but poor service and support

Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,209 Likes on 6,287 Posts

I am sorry everyone is having problem with the HU. In March 2016, Iron Cross Audio repair my HU due to error code: U1302-Infotainment Bus Off Error. So, far no problems.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 527 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by tnsoldier_1977
I have tried contacting Iron Cross several times since I sent my radio to them. I have emailed, called, left voice mails. But no one replies or returns my call.
I decided to do a Yelp review and I am talking with an attorney to see what my next options are.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/iron-cross-a...Z0jnmaSKmhnnog
I would never support a business with their un-PC name that spouts any **** symbolism. There, I said it.

Heard really great things about these guys though.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:19 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Seriously?

I think the pc has gone a little too far.

The following 3 users liked this post by skratch:
Buelligan666 (03-22-2024), tar_snake (03-23-2024), Ultra103 (03-24-2024)
Old 08-10-2017, 04:35 AM
Triglide63
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron Cross Repair (good) Sales ad (Not good)

7/15/17 I purchased an Iron Cross Audio e-Bay discount Repair Program "Form" for $165 for my 2012 Tri-Glide radio/cd player. Long story shortened, my unit is back and it is working again. Good news, it came with a one year warranty.

Interesting process. The "form" I purchased for $165 asked for minimal information; name, address, email, shipping address and a description area for the problem. They offer free UPS shipping (oops, not to Hawaii). They also advertise additional services ranging from $65 to $199. There was zero info on specific packing or go to "this website" for do's and don't's for packing.

I receive this email a day later
: Thank you for your order.

Please fill out the attached form and include it along with the radio with a copy of the PayPal transaction

Please be advised:
The $165 discount program is a basic repair bringing the unit to current production specs and provides a one year warranty. It is not our full service customer care program ($240) which includes additional liquid and vibration protection installed as well as a lifetime re-repair discount should anything happen after the warranty expires. If at any time prior to the repair you would like to upgrade to the full program, please contact us for instructions.

Again, NO specific directions for the proper box and/or padding.

This unit has never been out of the bike or dropped. I bubble wrap the heck out of it front and back, top and bottom. I did a damn good job (my thinking - I'm 64, an old bastard) The box wouldn't allow wrap on the sides.

I put $500 insurance on the shipping in the case it's lost, stolen or damaged.

They call me and tell me it might have been dropped because the face plate was damage. I told them first time off the bike, never dropped here. Was the package damage? They said "maybe" didn't know for sure but the faceplate was damaged and had to be replaced. Okay...hmmm They said I could use the insurance claim if I wanted.

Then I get a call for an extra $118, $53 for shipping a 7lbs radio in the "correct" box. Vibration damage. Okay. They said it could be faulty brackets...also check speaker brackets. Harley had upgraded the brackets at least on this trike on the assembly line. They were all good. They told me the radio looked like it had riser bolt hitting damage from impact. Important to replace the riser bolts. For the life of me I cannot see impact damage on the radio. Harley had also replaced out those riser bolts from their service bulletin for 2006 - 2011 Electra Glides. Granted my trike was manufactured late 2011 and a 12 model but those bolts had been replaced.

When I took the radio out, both bolts lined up on the side mounts with the faceplate flush on the dash. The faceplate they put on only allowed one mounting hold to match on each side, with the face plate over hanging past the front of the dash. Crazy. There was no possible way to line the two holes up without the radio being an inch back inside the radio cutout.

As I said in the beginning....the radio/CD work well. No CD skip. One year warranty. It's the same unit, I checked the numbers but it don't fit the same.

There was no way to report this to e-Bay as their reporting guidelines don't cover my issues (complaint) e-Bay says to rate a purchase/service, be specific. Explain exactly whats good/bad about the "product". But, stick to the facts about the "product". Their rating says that's not the place for feedback out the seller or details about the sale.

The radio repair....it works. The whole experience with e-Bay, the initial product ($165 form called e-bay Discount Repair Program) was not a good process. I was told I mispacked the radio, that I didn't read the instructions. There were no instructions....nor did I have specific website info.

There's my bitch. $277.91, I guess I shouldn't bitch. I couldn't buy a replacement radio near that cost. I'll keep the sales receipt and hopefully won't have to use the warranty. They do offer 50% off repair if it fails after one year, having used their service. I'll use their box and styrofoam to ship it back to them. Now for tunes while riding in Hawaii.....15 years and yep, it's worth it to me. Aloha

Gary

Old 08-22-2020, 04:22 PM
Top6222
6th Gear
Default Iron Cross Audio NOT well reviewed by Better Business Bureau

Sent the stock HK head unit from my 2012 Street Glide into Iron Cross to have the Bluetooth mod installed. Head unit was working perfectly when I removed it and I wrapped it in plenty of bubble wrap and placed in a box so it didn't have room to move around. Sent it UPS so I'd have a tracking number.
I got a call from Iron Cross after they received it saying it had no output. Gave me some BS about how the output module was very sensitive and I probably tweeked it removing it from the bike. They wante $250 to repair BEFORE the Bluetooth mod install, which would still cost $140. I said send me back the head unit.
A few minutes later I get a call from they saying they would buy the head unit for $150, to which I agreed. That was 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting for my check. I reviewed their profile on the Better Business Bureau page and it's not great. I probably should have stayed with having them send me back the unit. But based on everything I have read about them, they'd have sent me back a busted unit and not mine. I will be filing a BBB complaint if my check does not arrive soon.

Quick Reply: Another Iron Cross Audio Review