General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand heat shrink tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Do a check on Ebay. I've bought a ton of it there at really great prices. Buy an assortment kit and you'll be set for a good while. And loom, not shrink, for protection along the length

Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat shrink tubing may seem to be all the same, however while all heat shrink tubing shrinks when exposed to heat, some shrinks more than others. You can buy 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, etc. depending on your need to fit over wider items like connectors, but still shrink down to tightly cover the wires going into these connectors. I have one heat shrink tube that will fit over 3/4" fittings but shrinks down to tightly wrap single strand #18 gage wire.

PS you only need to heat shrink connections to protect them from moisture and dirt... there are dozens of wire looms made from dozens of materials available to wrap the lengths of wires.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,552 Likes on 3,801 Posts

I have always found it a good idea after soldering to wrap the connection with electric plastic tape tape so when you slide the shrink over it's not so loose. Also a good idea since most shrink wrap I have used is not very thick to begin with. I usually get away with 1/4 on most car and bike jobs. I have a few universal packs of 1/16-1" and a pile of 1/4 I got from Harbor Freight for penny's a foot. Remember one thing. Do not forget to slide it on before soldiering.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

HF wrap will void your warranty. Use only official MOCO heat shrink.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks everyone.
I figured it is pretty universal, but the chalky shade of black led me to wonder if there are some brands to stay away from.
I'll go with the wire loom under the tank as suggested- I didn't want to have to shrink wrap the whole lenth of wire if it wasn't necessary, but I obviously hade a memory lapse since a wire loom hadn't come to mind.
Maybe while I have it apart I'll do a 2" tank lift as well- it would be nice to get in there and clean the top of the engine better.
Thanks for the info.
Rob

Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
HF wrap will void your warranty. Use only official MOCO heat shrink.
But be warned--it has the bar and shield stamped on it in 6 inch intervals and you waste a lot of it when you put the logo in every piece you cut. And they only sell it at the dealership in packages of 50 rolls for $975.00.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,552 Likes on 3,801 Posts

Guess I should have read you post better. Never realized you were making a harness till I read closer. For this (I have a large bag of scrap so cost is zero for me) I would roll off a few feet of wire from the spool at Home Depot and pull out the ground and use the others to pull your's through for an extra shield. Few bucks at the most. That how I made my tack wire and it matches my other wires coming to the headlight,switches and signals so close you would never know the difference

Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Jack Straw
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are "brands" of heat shrink?? Huh...learn something new every day!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im looking for nice shiny black pvc tubing, the type they use to put turn signal wires in etc....just cant seem to find a good place for it, ill have to go to my local automotive parts store unless someone has an online site for me. thanks Ted

Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When I go to HF, I stock up on the heat shrink tubing. Works just like any other and it is far less expensive.

HF is a motorcyclist's friend.

Quick Reply: What brand heat shrink tubing?