General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sturgis campgrounds

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
freebirdrunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sturgis campgrounds

wandering if anybody has stayed at shade valley, im booked in for 5 nights,i know its east of town thought it would be easy to get through town first thing in mornings to ride to custer etc.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:18 PM
npbaker
Advanced

Haven't been there but have a spot reserved there for this year. Web site says there are easy ways around town, but I guess we'll both see soon. I'll be looking forward to seeing responses from people who've been there.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:30 PM
casper gomez
Tourer

thats where we are staying too. never been to sturgis, so i dunno if it is the best way to go or not, but the lady on the phone is always really nice when you call over there. lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

We come into Sturgis from the east, and drive right by this relatively new campground.

It may be easy to get to town in the morning, but it'll be terrible to get back. You'll be riding back past Thunder Alley, The Full Throttle, Glencoe, the drag strip, and Buffalo Chip.
They advertise being able to get back "in ten minutes." I really don't know how that can be possible in the evening. The Sturgis city council is trying some new things on Hwy 34 to relieve the congestion, but so far it hasn't worked.

http://www.shadevalley.com/location.html

"The options center on reducing congestion on S. D. Highway 34, especially eastbound traffic. DOT research showed that the highest peak of traffic during the rally is between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. heading east on Highway 34."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/news...cc4c03286.html

However, if you want to party hearty you won't have far to go home !

As far as shade just don't come by motorhome!....They'll have shade maybe in 20 years when the trees are big. When you drive by it now, all you see from the road are motorhomes parked in the sun, with saplings next to them. In all fairness, however, there are shady campsites in the far back end that look ideal for bike camping.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 03-25-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 PM
wildbill118
Intermediate
Default Been there

Stayed there 2 years ago. 1st trip to sturgis and did the ready camp thing. No real shade trees, just scrub trees however it was good for the money. They have a nice bar and band every night and a general store for ice, beer, etc. Next year I stayed in town and paid as much for a single night in a hotel as I did all week at shade valley, great rest room and shower facility kept very clean. ;ots of hot water Good hot food on site and bus transportation to the strip , the chip, etc. Very accomidating folks. Also had an on site mechanic for bike if needed. It is no problem getting out of town in the morning but a bitch getting past the full throttle, glenco and the chip at the end of the day. Not a wild place so don't expect T&A and do expect the occasional a- hole firing up his bike in the middle of the night just to hear it roar. All part of the experience. I stay in hotels now because A - I can afford it and B- at 50 years old I like AC, TV, a soft bed, after a long day of riding

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Haywired
Road Master

A friend of our group stayed there last year was was very pleased. We are planning to stay there also but have not reserved spots yet. We'll probably arrive Sunday afternoon and depart Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by freebirdrunner
wandering if anybody has stayed at shade valley, im booked in for 5 nights,i know its east of town thought it would be easy to get through town first thing in mornings to ride to custer etc.
hell yes! and I'd stay there again in a new york minute!!

the next time I stay there though I'll leave my piddly *** tent at home and just use theirs. it's an extra $100 but it's HUGE and it comes with an air mattress and cot..+ a fan and did I mention the tent is HUGE?

and they're located closer to the saloon and showers.....

Old 03-26-2011, 06:59 AM
freebirdrunner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
hell yes! and I'd stay there again in a new york minute!!

the next time I stay there though I'll leave my piddly *** tent at home and just use theirs. it's an extra $100 but it's HUGE and it comes with an air mattress and cot..+ a fan and did I mention the tent is HUGE?

and they're located closer to the saloon and showers.....
i thought it said 350.00 for whole rally plus 105.00 per person

Old 03-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,026 Likes on 18,656 Posts

I haven't stayed there but a group I ride with stayed and really enjoyed the facilities and the owners. They were treated great and are going back next year. They reccommend the place highly!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:14 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Stayed there in 08............I liked it. Looked foward to the ride to town each morning to fuel up for the day. Beautiful ride! About 10-15 minutes

Quick Reply: sturgis campgrounds