General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Advanced Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:09 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken the advanced course about 15 years ago, but plan on doing it again this summer with my son. Then, later this fall, we're planning on taking Lee Parks' Total Control class.
I've been taking track schools every few years, though. They don't really deal with traffic situations like MSF courses do, but concentrate more on braking, cornering and line selection as well as body position. Every time I take one of them, even though I don't ride at "race pace", I shave off a couple of seconds of my race lap times. Even the "race" school teaches me something that translates to street riding.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Twist of the Wrist, by Ken Cole
That would be Keith Code.
I've red his books, but didn't care for his writing style. I think his style of teaching is better in person and I'd love to take his class someday.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Deep6
Cruiser
Smile

Got my mc license at 18 (no safety course needed) never rode anything larger than a 350 honda until I was 35. Then I was sent to the 2 week police motor officer course put on by Md. State Police. Never worked so hard or learned so much about what I didn't know about riding a motorcyle. Did this course on a full police dresser FXRP. Didn't buy my own Harley until I was 49, a Sportster 1200, then traded it 8 months later for a softail custom. Bought a 2nd bike in December 2010, an Ultra Classic for the wife and I. Just finished the Rider's Edge Skilled Rider's course at 52 because I wanted a refresher on the basic slow speed manuvers where people get into trouble. I and one other guy took the class on our own Ultra Classics. Everyone else was on the store supplied Buell 500cc and almost all of them were late 30's to 50 and taking the class because they got tired of running from the police and needed to finally get their license or they were buying a street bike for the first time. I've found that I can always learn something from a course. I've also found a deserted parking lot where I go once a week for 20-30 minutes to practice those tight low speed skills that get rusty when you don't use them all the time.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Stanley0910
Intermediate

I took the advanced rider course back in 06 on my CBR600RR. You have to take the course to ride on military installations. I opted for the advanced vs the beginner because I had already been riding for a year and the class is 2 days vs 5 days. The basic is similar to the advanced just with way more instruction before testing.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM
MisterPX
Tourer

Good books ahve been mentioned, there's also A Twist of teh Wrist 2.

The RLAP videos are handy, but focus on low speed manuevers, whereas videos like Twist of the Wrist 2 are more about higher speed handling. There's also a video called "Street Smarts", and while dated, still covers fundamentals of daily riding.

You can also enquire about track days if you ahve any nearby, as those will also help your street riding skills. Don't think oyu can only do them with sportbikes, guys on baggers ahve done them as the fundamentals are the same regardless of your bike.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HRLYSG
I've taken the advanced rider course. Our H.O.G. Chapter (and others) make this a yearly event. Road Captains are required to take the course every 3 years. Some take it every year. And yes, a member or two drop their bikes from time to time.
Really? HOG members drop their bikes? I, for one, find that quite shocking.

To Fathertime 500: IMHO, you don't become a good rider by reading or watching videos about it. Practice doesn't make perfect--PERFECT practice makes perfect. Nothing beats having a pair of watchful eyes making sure you're doing things right. There's a reason why you can watch Tiger Woods on Saturday then go out and play shitty golf on Sunday. There's no shortcut to becoming a good rider.

Last edited by Sharknose; 04-26-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Really? HOG members drop their bikes? I, for one, find that quite shocking.

To Fathertime 500: IMHO, you don't become a good rider by reading or watching videos about it. Practice doesn't make perfect--PERFECT practice makes perfect. Nothing beats having a pair of watchful eyes making sure you're doing things right. There's a reason why you can watch Tiger Woods on Saturday then go out and play shitty golf on Sunday. There's no shortcut to becoming a good rider.
are you saying I'm just wasting my time watching all this ****?

Old 04-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alkay191
are you saying I'm just wasting my time watching all this ****?
Bwah-hahahahahaha.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by alkay191
That would be Keith Code.
I've red his books, but didn't care for his writing style. I think his style of teaching is better in person and I'd love to take his class someday.
opps.... I looked across the room, and read off a few book titles... guess i shoulda got up, and pulled theem out
yer right. KEITH

Old 05-02-2011, 03:16 PM
crackerbiker
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Experienced Rider Course

I took the experienced rider course this weekend from State College in Bradenton, and highly recommend it to any Florida riders. There were 4 students and 2 experienced instructors. It was a fun day and we all learned. Can't understand why the classes aren't full. From what I see on the road, and at the local watering holes, it would be my guess that many riders are fearful of attempting the course on their heavy bikes. They should not be as the instructors will get them making tight u-turns and corners in no time. Give it a try!

Quick Reply: MSF Advanced Rider