General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Advanced Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 03:03 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF Advanced Rider

Taking the MSF Advanced Rider course on May 7th. The instructor says that they have trouble filing the advanced classes, but the beginner classes fill up fast.

I wonder if that's because a lot of people take the Basic Rider course, then decide not to ride, or ride a little bit and then don't ride much anymore.

Or if people think that they are good enough to not need any further instruction?

Me, I KNOW I need more practice and instruction on things like wet weather riding and braking, trail braking, and just a reinforcement of good habits and a check up to make sure I'm not forming any bad habits.

anyone take the Advanced Rider MSF course?

Old 04-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody takes the Advanced course because once they pass the Basic course, they hang out at biker bars, hook up with an MC, get patched in and then become Road Captain.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:31 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Most people taking the MSF class do it to get their license. The DMV course scares many, especially those with large bikes. A few take it to get a discount on insurance.
Advanced course has nothing to offer except making you a better rider.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Can any of you please suggest reading material or video on advanced skills . Is the Ride Like A Pro series worth the money ?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master

I've taken the advanced rider course. Our H.O.G. Chapter (and others) make this a yearly event. Road Captains are required to take the course every 3 years. Some take it every year. And yes, a member or two drop their bikes from time to time.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I took it for the first time two yrs ago, plan on taking it again this yr. I am weak on left hand turns, as proven by the cone set up two yrs ago. Been riding for 30+ yrs and I did learn a few tricks. Nothing wrong with advancing your education. It could save your life. It was actually fun, we all had big bikes, no one was there to impress the other, we worked as a group. The instructor was great, took our time until every one got it down pat. Looking forward to this year.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took the basic course in Nov '10 to get reacquainted with riding after many years, learn some basic skills and get the waiver for the license. I learned from the class and had a good time.

I go back tomorrow to take the ERC. I am looking forward to the class.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Can any of you please suggest reading material or video on advanced skills . Is the Ride Like A Pro series worth the money ?
Yes, the "Ride Like A Pro" video is worth the $25 if you watch it and actually practice the concepts taught in the video.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

I think grinding the edges on their floorboards scare a lot of guys too , when I took the advance class years ago we were on an oval track and pushed it pretty good a few times . A number of guys wouldn't do the maneuvers because of flying sparks , pussies .

Old 04-23-2011, 01:03 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Twist of the Wrist, by Ken Cole
Proficient motorcycling (both volumes) by David Hough
RLaP videos
ANY training class.....MSF, or private class... but as with anything... read up a bit on what they offer, and what qualifications they may have.

Is it "worth the cost?".....will depend on the rider.... some riders believe that riding a motorcycle is a skill, and they wish to become more skillfull, while other riders already know everything, and there's simply nothing left to learn

Quick Reply: MSF Advanced Rider