General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old folks Harleys and Young folks Harleys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was 28 when I got my first bagger (shovelhead). I'm 53 now and on my third bagger.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah....age as a defining factor.

Much as I'd like a custom softtail, I just can't fit on one. Noone makes forward controls that mount to the front axle.

Having said that, I'm under 50, & I ride a FLHRCI.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:26 PM
twowheelstoo
Advanced

One of the problems Harley faces is that motorcycle riders in their 20's and early 30's are not buying Harleys. They are buying a total of 9 non cruiser style bikes (sport bikes, sport touring, adventure, super moto and dirt) for every cruiser sold to that age group. Since Harley only make cruisers now they only have a piece of that 10%. Sure Harley's sales to the 40+ rider group is awesome. Cruisers account for 40% or motorcycles sold in North America. But the 45+ age group will continue to buy fewer bikes as they age. As younger riders age they are going to be the ones spending money on more expensive bikes and they won't be Harleys unless Harley starts to make an effort to attract them to the brand when they start riding. To continue to be successful in the next 10-15 years Harley needs to build a bike now to attract new younger riders at a price they can afford. I think letting Buell go, just as it was starting to be successfull with racing success, and new engine technology, and good reviews, was a mistake.

Last edited by twowheelstoo; 12-12-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

pointless q.

all ages ride all types.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
purvissp
Cruiser
Talking

I am 63 and just traded my full dress Yamaha Classic for a new Dyna Custom and love it, should have done it long ago. I also have a 73 year old buddy that just bought a Sportster 1200.

Go figure.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by purvissp
I am 63 and just traded my full dress Yamaha Classic for a new Dyna Custom and love it, should have done it long ago. I also have a 73 year old buddy that just bought a Sportster 1200.

Go figure.
That's fantastic! I hope I'm still riding at that stage in life!

Old 12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Married = Bagger
Married on any other model you are in Denial

Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twowheelstoo
One of the problems Harley faces is that motorcycle riders in their 20's and early 30's are not buying Harleys. They are buying a total of 9 non cruiser style bikes (sport bikes, sport touring, adventure, super moto and dirt) for every cruiser sold to that age group. Since Harley only make cruisers now they only have a piece of that 10%. Sure Harley's sales to the 40+ rider group is awesome. Cruisers account for 40% or motorcycles sold in North America. But the 45+ age group will continue to buy fewer bikes as they age. As younger riders age they are going to be the ones spending money on more expensive bikes and they won't be Harleys unless Harley starts to make an effort to attract them to the brand when they start riding. To continue to be successful in the next 10-15 years Harley needs to build a bike now to attract new younger riders at a price they can afford. I think letting Buell go, just as it was starting to be successfull with racing success, and new engine technology, and good reviews, was a mistake.

You might be right about younger riders not buying cruisers now but that doesn't mean they wont buy one later on. I am 43 and didn't buy my first Harley until two years ago. Before that it was sport bikes all the way, in fact when I was in my 20s and early 30s I never even considered buying a Harley or any cruiser bike.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 PM
bulkman2008
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Started with Hondas , Yamahas and bought my first new Harley in 75 , it was a Sporster . Then continued to bigger Harleys , Superglides then a Fatboy and now it`s a Heritage and so far every time I went with a bigger heavier bike the ride and comfort has improved , I`am 55 . Been looking at some Ultras , if I can find the right deal on the right bike I will trade up to a Ultra , everyone says ain`t no better ride so guess I`ll have to see for myself but would never go back to a Sporster for sure .

Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

16, Ultra Classic! Why the farg not! JK, Pushin' 50 still on a dirt bike, snow machine, quad, like music by Nickleback, Kid Rock and Johnny Cash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7K4jH7NqUw

Quick Reply: Old folks Harleys and Young folks Harleys...