General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LLoud obnoxious bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:46 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,251 Likes on 1,533 Posts

Originally Posted by stonewall308
My short shots are about the loudest pipes I have heard. I know some others are louder, but I haven't come across them yet. .
Unless you yanked yer baffles...even those aren't bad (I love 'em..yes they do look great too...and a friend of mine has 'em on her bike)....(uhm..she's not very feminine so don't take my saying 'her bike' as an insult)

Again...it's baffle-less bikes that can be too loud (IMO), and the other part of the equation is...it's up to how the rider uses the throttle.

Some people enjoy throwing garbage in other peoples yards....and don't care..rather, they enjoy it. As for me? I prefer to respect neighbors and other peeps first....and hopefully I get the same in return. It'll be an endless debate, but that's how I roll.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

In a parallel world we have these soccer-mommy-and-daddy types in the neighborhood who want to put speed bumps on the streets. Never mind that they look like hell, are hard to see in the rain, don’t slow anyone down – if anything people drive faster between them – and lower property values. THEY WANT SPEED BUMPS BECAUSE LITTLE JOHNNY MIGHT… uh, I haven’t a clue.

Then they don’t drive on their own streets, but use the one next to it so they don’t have to drive on the….speed bumps. In Sacramento, it only takes 25 percent of residents of a street block to pass the speed bump installation and then you’re stuck with them.

You whiny folks. I know that their are some ******** on Harleys, same as there are on golf courses, baseball games and in your bed.

Two words…Get a life…

Last edited by bjewell; 05-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

We have a local community that has enacted noise laws. It is actually against the law there to whistle in a public place or to call your kids for dinner, amongst other things. Beware the noise police.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordy806
When I go thru town people turn around to see just what the hell is commin!
Wow,you must be proud of yourself!

Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

I chuckle at the analogies of dealing with noise of planes by the airport, or trains. Uhm...did someone hold a gun to your head forcing you to buy a house at the end of the runway of an airport? Or right next to train tracks? or next to a major highway? Who failed to research their real estate investment for a good neighborhood? You had a choice, you failed in making a good one. But those people that live in quiet neighborhoods don't have a choice when some riders force their noise upon all others. The whole "I live near an airport and I deal with the noise" argument is irrelevant to this thread.

Ride responsibly, respect others. Within 1 block of my house there are three other Harley households. None of them have stock cigar pipes either, nor do I. Yet they can ride coo
Thank you, well worded and right to the point. If we dont police ourselves others will do it for us. Each individual motorcyclist represents the whole group. All it takes is one.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM
joel85
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol this thread is highly amusing. I've never seen so many people whine. So much for freedom in this country. Even the bikers want to make laws against each other now. It's a sad decline. Oh well have fun and keep up the amusement until your laws get passed and we can all ride pink vespas around and buzz at each other. Can't wait to put a stage 1 on that sweet machine.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,216 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Garandman
Funny thing: the guys who say that they have loud pipes because "Loud pipes save lives" never have on a good helmet, a good jacket, .....
Are you consistant ?

I'm assuming you are.

And since your judgement here is not only absolute and all-inclusive, it is also

Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Are you consistant ? (sic)

I'm assuming you are.

And since your judgement here is not only absolute and all-inclusive, it is also
If you mean do I wear gear - yes, all the time.
Don't understand what the last sentence fragment means?

By all means, if you disagree, post up a link to any safety study that shows how bikes with straight pipes are safer than ones with mufflers.

I've posted my theory, which is that the sound is highly directional, doesn't project to the front where most accidents occur, and if there is more than one loud bike present, everyone is less safe because no one call tell where they are.

Also that bikes with open pipes are 100% responsible for new motorcycle noise regulations passed or in process in almost every state. And sound like ****.

But if you really believe it's not just about "Look at me Look at me Look at me " by all means feel free to take the mufflers off your car, truck, lawnmower, snow thrower, and encourage your neighbors to do the same. After listening to tank cannons for a few years, I'm just trying to keep the hearing I have left.

Recent post from Advrider.

Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy
Keep in mind that in the early days of AdvRider the focus was on dual sport riding, as in riding off road. That's not really HD's customer base.

Also keep in mind that just about every motorcyclist that doesn't ride a Harley has either been stuck behind a rolling roadblock or had a friend / neighbor go off on them about how motorcycles are too ****ing loud.

Add in that like mushrooms in the rain forest every time the issue of loud pipes comes up some Harley guy will pop up and sprout off on how loud pipes save lives or "they ride 5 under in the left lane to avoid merging traffic".

The irony of that statement is if their priority was to ride safely with the public rather than maintain "possession" of the road through a rigid formation they would be in the right lane and either move left for merging traffic or break formation to all them to enter safely.

When you're making sure to ingrain bad and unsafe habits into inexperienced riders you need a few asshats in hi vi "Road Captain" gear to keep "order".

One year up at Laconia one of our riders was taken out by a young lady on a sportster. She turned left in the path of another woman from our rally. Sporty's story was she was more focused on maintaining formation.

From loud pipes to formation riding as a group HOG clubs and such have little interest in safety and spread dangerous myths to their new riders.

You know the ones. loud pipes save lives, helmets will break your neck and riding two by to with 1 second spacing is the safe. uke1

Bias? Sure there is. They've earned it.

Last edited by Garandman; 05-03-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Garandman
I've posted my theory, which is that the sound is highly directional, doesn't project to the front where most accidents occur,
I've never understood this arguement. If I'm sitting in my living room or in my car at an intersection I can hear Harleys approaching (even ones with stock pipes). Do people really believe they are silent until they pass you? I guess if you have your house stereo playing you can only hear it if you're standing directly in front of the speakers???

Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Goliver
Advanced

I live in a very conservative (read full of Old people) gated community. I don't have straight pipes on my bike. The Harley has Vance and Hines and my VFR has a Yoshimura. I always idle while waiting for the gate to open and to use small throttle settings as appropriate to navigate in and out of neighborhood out of respect for everyone else. I have been thanked by several residents for my attitude. There are a couple of cool old guys in the neighborhood with old Corvettes and Chevelles and such that are way louder than my bikes that love to romp on the thottle. To each his own. I was trained to treat others like you want to be treated. It isn't that big a deal in any event.

Quick Reply: LLoud obnoxious bikes