General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycles and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
wolvie1892
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
... or a Volt or Leaf ... seriously, I vote corner, too ....

... must be the hormones from the soy talkin' ....
Yeah, doesn't soy give you b*&^h **** or something like that?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think engine emissions is even the problem in california. It's the methane from all the refried beans.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:16 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So only one person actually answered my question and they recommended Xieds. Anybody else?

Old 05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cats just make the bike meet the coming 2012 EPA standards, it is not required at this time.. For 2012s and beyond it will be illegal to remove them. Considering that only 2% of the population rides motorcycles, all the motorcycle mile together don't add up to the pollution caused by rush hour traffic of one big city, and even without the Cat your bike meets current standards, I would take it off.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:27 PM
broziff
Tourer

Xied's would add more fuel to the mix dont see how this would help with you wanting to reduce emissions. Maybe try adding a oil cooler and use synthetic oil to cool it down a bit. I dont know how your gonna increase performance without increasing emissions.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:29 PM
2>4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hig4s
The cats just make the bike meet the coming 2012 EPA standards, it is not required at this time.. For 2012s and beyond it will be illegal to remove them. Considering that only 2% of the population rides motorcycles, all the motorcycle mile together don't add up to the pollution caused by rush hour traffic of one big city, and even without the Cat your bike meets current standards, I would take it off.
How are people going to legally modify their exhaust after 2012? Seems like this will put a lot of people out of business.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
2>4
Road Captain

Originally Posted by boneziff
Xied's would add more fuel to the mix dont see how this would help with you wanting to reduce emissions. Maybe try adding a oil cooler and use synthetic oil to cool it down a bit. I dont know how your gonna increase performance without increasing emissions.
Yes, it does seem impossible.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
How are people going to legally modify their exhaust after 2012? Seems like this will put a lot of people out of business.

the only way the EPA will know is if they make every state an emission state, and have your ride tested every year, therefore put stock on and test, go home put aftermarket on and ride.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard for a while now that that motorcycles put our more pollutants than cars but have not seen any specifics. This article from 2008 does reference an average motorcycle, but does not mention whether that average is for new, unmodified motorcycles or ones that have been on the street for a while.

Most of the aftermarket tuners for the ECM I have seen are labeled for off road use only. I take that as meaning the tuners either do not meet or have not been certified as meeting the EPA requirements.

There are also EPA noise requirements. Mufflers that have been certified as meeting the requirement have the EPA stamp that is occasionally discussed on here. Very few of the aftermarket exhausts I have seen include this stamp because they either do not meet or have not been certified to meet the noise requirement.

Removing the catalytic converter would probably mean increasing emissions and the system would no longer be street legal.

A lot of people do these two modifications for increased performance. To the best of my knowledge, no state currently requires emission testing so they will probably not get caught with the tuner but more and more states and communities are requiring exhaust systems with the EPA stamp.

Are you sure your 2009 has a catalytic converter? I thought they did not start intalling them until the 2010 or 2011 model year.

You might want to consider the factory air cleaner modification (sometimes called stage one) with the factory ECM reflash. To the best of my knowledge, this change is street legal and does not change the emissions. You can also buy EPA stamped mufflers that are slightly more free flowing and slightly louder than the factory pipes and still meet the EPA noise limits. HD offers the Screaming Eagle slip on mufflers for a number of models that still have the EPA stamp.

I too am concerned about emissions and keeping my bike street legal. I have had the air cleaner/ECM reflash done on my bike. I also bought some Screaming Eagle mufflers with the EPA stamp, but they were too loud for me so I put the stock mufflers back on the bike.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Morris9982; 05-05-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

Originally Posted by boneziff
It wont reduce emissions, the stock setup already does that, xieds just make it run cooler (richer), which is what he asked about.

I dont think he wanted to further reduce emissions from stock. Best to get an electric bike if thats the goal.

Quick Reply: motorcycles and emissions