General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycles and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

A motorcycle puts out in 7K the same as a car does in 70K!!!!!!!!

Total BS. A gallon of gas contains a finite amount of molecules. With the same afr and cats a gallon of gas produces the same emissions in a bike or car not ten times as much. The if the bike is at 50 mpg and the car at 25 mpg, the car puts out twice the pollution.

A chemical reaction cannot make more than what is put into it.

Someone has been brainwashed by the ecowacko's.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-05-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

By the way. One cannot legally modify a motorcycle exhaust per EPA since 1978. You all must have been asleep.

Just no enforcement. YET!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
How are people going to legally modify their exhaust after 2012? Seems like this will put a lot of people out of business.
Yes it will cause the loss of trons of jobs as most useless laws do but hey do you care? The jobs that are generated by motorcycles being modified are in the 100,000 range. Think of the exhaust engineer, to the fabricator to the warehouse packer, to the shipper to the mechanic who installs it and that's one exhaust..

I personally know of no one who will buy a motorcycle they cannot modify because a law says so. As for being a democrat union member, who gives a ****? I know plenty of union members who ride modified bikes and belong to a union. You ride what you want where what ya want I don't care, please just stay out of my business and right to ride what I want to ride. Hug all the trees you want hell plant some I dont give a **** just don't tell me to...

God I so miss the old days and real bikers... God Bless America...

Attached Thumbnails motorcycles and emissions-sturgis206.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
just go in the corner and drink my soy latte?
There you go.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick@nite
Yes it will cause the loss of trons of jobs as most useless laws do but hey do you care? The jobs that are generated by motorcycles being modified are in the 100,000 range. Think of the exhaust engineer, to the fabricator to the warehouse packer, to the shipper to the mechanic who installs it and that's one exhaust..

I personally know of no one who will buy a motorcycle they cannot modify because a law says so. As for being a democrat union member, who gives a ****? I know plenty of union members who ride modified bikes and belong to a union. You ride what you want where what ya want I don't care, please just stay out of my business and right to ride what I want to ride. Hug all the trees you want hell plant some I dont give a **** just don't tell me to...

God I so miss the old days and real bikers... God Bless America...
My comment was meant for KBFXDLI only. He has been a pain in my a$$ previously. It seem he just can't leave the political thing alone. If you actually read my original question, you will see that I am not trying to tell anyone what to ride or how. This has become a bull$hit thread due to the ignorance of many. I asked a simple, basic question with a little bit of humor. I guess maybe it was not simple enough.

Last edited by 2>4; 05-05-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,404 Likes on 2,635 Posts

OK, so lets re-read the original post. He wants a better performing and cooler bike without removing the cats. Nothing said about not making emissions worse.

Xieds would make emissions only slightly worse, but not as bad as removing the cats, and they would make the bike run cooler, and perform somewhat better. (however slightly)

I stand by my answer, its his best option.

Originally Posted by 2>4
<snip> I want a better performing and cooler running bike but don't really want to remove the catalytic converter. <snip>
Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
The Xieds richen the mixture...which increases emissions...so they are out. No real mods that will help without increasing emissions. Doesn't really matter...no emissions equipment is actually designed for cleaner air...it is designed to fool the equipment that the EPA uses to test vehicles...my favorite is the "air pump"...pump clean air in the exhaust pipe...and you get less emissions out the tailpipe ...no chit Sherlock. If you burn a gallon of gas you get a gallon of fumes out of the exhaust...so the only way to reduce emissions is to burn less gas. So leave your 10 MPG SUV at home and ride your bike more....problem solved or is that tree hugged?

Last edited by Keithhu; 05-05-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
88xlh1200
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2>4
If you actually read my original question, you will see that I am not trying to tell anyone what to ride or how. This has become a bull$hit thread due to the ignorance of many. I asked a simple, basic question with a little bit of humor. I guess maybe it was not simple enough.
Your post was indeed a simple basic question with a little bit of humor. But you linked it to a one-sided article citing statements from one source (CARB), with no data to back up their claims. And you can come out of the corner now (a little humor there).

Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 88xlh1200
Strike one - the article is from the L.A. Times.
Strike two - all the info comes from the EPA.
Strike three - it's California.

And, for all the people (not aiming at anyone in this thread) who prefer an electric vehicle to be "green", how do they think the electricity is generated for them to plug into? Oh, and to answer one of the OP's questions, yeah, go sit in the corner.

J
Typical of those dumbasses. Substitute some electric cars and mercury filled lightbulbs and claim they are better for the environment...by ignoring half the facts. I seriouly think all these people want is to prove that, in spite of being limp-wristed sissies, they can still push people around.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Morris9982
The original article suggests that the average motorcycle puts out about 10 times the pollution of the average car (if I remember correctly). I would be willing to bet that the gas mileage of the average bike is higher than the average car. Emissions and gas mileage are not directly related. As stated, the 7,000 mile per year motorcycle puts out the same pollution as an average car driven 70,000 miles per year.
That doesn't really seem to be possible. A motorcycle burns a gallon of gas and goes 40 miles and my truck burns a gallon of gas and goes 20 miles.

They both burned a gallon of gas and emitted the by-products from that gallon of gas. How did the motorcycle emit 10 times the waste from the same gallon of gas?

I'm no scientist, so anybody feel free to explain.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 PM
BBBSS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the cat, plant a tree, and punch yourself in the ***** for being a half a homo.

Quick Reply: motorcycles and emissions