General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD RIDE PLANNER download to NUVI.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,343 Likes on 10,704 Posts
Red face HD RIDE PLANNER download to NUVI.

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 and LOVE IT! I download my saved rides from the HD website to my Zumo easily and flawlessly.

Here is my question: You can not do the above with the Nuvi. Garmin even says so. Has anyone been able to do it? I think my friend has a Nuvi 255 but eitherway, has anyone been successful d/ling from the HD Web Site rides to their NUVI?

Thank you in advance!

BuzzCap7

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

It will depend on the Nuvi model or the specific model of any other mfg. for that matter. The key, is usually in the "Specifications" section for your particular unit. Look for a spec. that says "Routes = xx". If your model doesn't list this, or says "Routes = 0", then you are SOL.

The ability to store route plans in the GPS, is typically found only in the higher end GPS models. To my knowledge, the 255 Nuvi does not support stored Routes. I believe the 265 Nuvi is the lowest model that has that capability.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Works on Nuvi 750, but your maps need to be up to date. Mine are 08 maps without some completed roads on it. Ride free will have the new road and when it transfers it Nuvi reroutes not knowing about the completed rd. Makes since but you need to check your downloaded route.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
It will depend on the Nuvi model or the specific model of any other mfg. for that matter. The key, is usually in the "Specifications" section for your particular unit. Look for a spec. that says "Routes = xx". If your model doesn't list this, or says "Routes = 0", then you are SOL.

The ability to store route plans in the GPS, is typically found only in the higher end GPS models. To my knowledge, the 255 Nuvi does not support stored Routes. I believe the 265 Nuvi is the lowest model that has that capability.

cHarley is correct. The unit must have the ability to use custom routes, and the Nuvi 255 does not support this feature.

You can go to Garmin's website and get the specs for each of their models.
As mentioned, look for the spec "Routes = xx"
xx = number of routes capable.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I just last night made a "test map" on the Rideplanner thing that I will try to load on my Garmin Streetpilot c580. I can't find anything on the "specs" for my unit except that it accepts custom maps. Hope it works.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I just last night made a "test map" on the Rideplanner thing that I will try to load on my Garmin Streetpilot c580. I can't find anything on the "specs" for my unit except that it accepts custom maps. Hope it works.
Sorry, but you are also SOL.
See the Garmin c580 specs HERE (select the Specs tab)
At the bottom of the section "Maps & Memory" Routes = 0

Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Maps are not the same thing as routes.
You can load new maps, as they release updated maps 2 or 3 times a year.

But when you use something like Ride Planner, you are creating a custom route.
You can then transfer this route to a GPS that supports custom routes.

You need a route capable GPS in order to do this.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:28 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

OK, thanks guys. One of these days I'll buy a new GPS and I'll have to look for one that will accept routes AND play my MP3's!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know much about this hitech chit but I have no problem downloading from the ride planner to a very old Garmin Quest sometimes rtes are not exact because of road changes but it always gets me close on a long trip. Especially since I don't use interstates unless it is absolutely necessary. A trip is to relax not rush it.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
capttrip
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Ride Planner to Garmin Nuvi 1450LMT

Hey now!!

I am using HD Ride Planner with the Nuvi 1450LMT.

I have created a ride with 13 locations. Then I created a name for the ride and clicked to save. (It says save successful.) I then go to "GPS Synchronization" and click detect my device. It finds the Nuvi and allows me to export the ride to GPS. (It says "Export Complete".)

My question is: Where do I find the ride on the GPS? I'm assuming I should see an entry somewhere which has the same name as the name I chose when I created the ride.

I can see all of the locations named individually in the "Favorites" section, but shouldn't I see the ride I created and be able to click on it and go from the first location to the last?

(This is how it works in Garmin Base Camp, but I'd prefer to use HD Ride Planner because it uses Google Maps which is so much more accurate and detailed.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: HD RIDE PLANNER download to NUVI.