General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full faced and armored leather--smart or pussy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Full faced and armored leather--smart or *****?

It ain't even hot yet and I am rethinking my AGATT commitment. I see brothers in t-shirts and jeans and a half helmet and thinking damm I need to get out of these full leather bibs, armored leather jacket and full faced helment. I only have 5k on this bike and still building skills. Scared of skin grafts. It's not a looking cool thing it's a being comfortable thing.

No problem on longer trips but i get tempted for shorter rides to leave the heavy leathers at home. Have folks compromised gear as they built skills? What changed your mind?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

do what you feel good with
I wear a Vanson perforated armored leather and at least a 3/4
even in the heat
call me what you will

NOW, when I was younger and bullet proof anything went
cept shorts n flipflops

Last edited by firefighter616; 05-12-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

The gear I wear has nothing to do with my skill. Its all about those 8 million cagers on their cell phones that are trying to kill me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a calculated risk any time you hop on and ride without ATGATT, one that only you can decide on for yourself. After all, it's a risk just to ride a motorcycle. But as FF616 said, do what feels good for you....

I have been enjoying riding without a helmet for the last few weeks while looking for a good skid lid. But I keep going to a memory of a guy I saw at the mall..... he had a HUGE bald patch on the back/side of his head, apparently from a road rash scar.

So, today I bought the skid lid, wore it...... and kinda wished I wasn't wearing it! oh well....

Ride Safe,
Sin

Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Below 50, leather jacket and chaps. Over 50 textile armored. I usually have dresspant or jeans, but I do feel vulnerable. Might get some armored overpants. FF always, though tempted to leave off. I just imagine squished head without, and put on.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:31 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do what works for you. Yeah riding without much gear is a calculated risk, but riding with full gear is a risk too. People in cars with seat belts and air bags get killed all the time.

Whatever you do, don't let people calling you a ***** influence your decisions. Do what you want to do, and screw others opinions. If they start making your payments and buying your gas then they get a vote.

WATGATT is just too damn hot for me in summer btw

Old 05-12-2011, 10:35 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the others. Don't worry about what others think of you. Do what you think is best for you.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

No ones ever called me a ***** for wearing protective gear and I really don't think that many of them care either. You wear what makes you feel safe...and gives some level of comfort to your family.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I bought a modular helmet to day. Haven't worn a helmet in years unless I'm riding outside of AZ in a state that has the law. It's gonna take some gettin use to but I promised myself I was gonna do it and by God....I'm gonna do it. Damn thing really feels heavy but I'm sure that will go away after a few hundred miles of wearing it.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that those who call you a ***** are not riders. Critics are those who dream but do not do. Always ride and wear in your comfort zone. You may find that your tastes evolve...your tastes.

Quick Reply: Full faced and armored leather--smart or pussy?