General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Riders with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Any Riders with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

I've got Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I'm considering having the release surgery, but I'm concerned that after, I won't have the strength to operate the clutch.

Are there any HD riders out there with CTS? If so, have you had surgery, and, did it effect your ability to ride?

I don't want to love my freedom!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
HDFLSTF
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it, but was told I could get away with cortisone shots instead of surgery at this point. My left hand (worst side) goes numb sometimes when in heavy traffic, but not too bad. I had a problem with my right hand going numb on long trips but a $10 throttle master helped that a lot.

Good luck!

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have degervains tendinitis which is similar but not as bad. Got a cortisone shot and I have been great for several months now.

Drew

Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Ret Sgt
Intermediate

I've got it. AGAIN. Had the release surgery five years ago. Pushed my self up off the pool deck and it came back, with a vengence. Constant pain and tingling now. Loose control of the left hand grip on occasion and drop things. Dr. says wait four weeks. Cortisone shot and splinting, along with oral meds have done NOTHING! will be going back next week. Looks like more surgery. CANNOT ride like it is. Vibration and no control on clutch, could be bad!! Have the surgery. Mine was great the last five years. The right hand is still good. Had surgery on that one at the same time.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Oh, I already had a foot clutch when this starting happening so I guess that makes it easier.

Drew

Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Had operation for both (wrists) hands in 1998 went through the therapy afterward and wad diagnosed with 15% loss of use or disability as the Dr. called it. Does not bother me as bad as it did when it was at its worse but still a nuisance and have learned to live with it......

Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the surgury about 8 years ago. I couldn't even brush my teeth with out my hand going numb. Also couldn't start a screw with my fingers. Best thing I ever did having it done. I had the left done first, just in case. My right was the worst. As soon as the Doc cut it (the right) there was an instant release of pressure.
My brother has it but not all that bad, he uses one of those throttle things on the grip.
My Mom gets the cortizone shots. Course, she don't ride either.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Pappy 05 Heritage
Tourer

I've had both hands done last year and it feels great not to have my hands go numb. I haven't got quite the strenght I use to have in my hands but it's not that bad. I got where I couldn't even ride very far at all and my hands were numb. I haven't had any numbness in my hands at all this year, riding the bike or doing other things.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:01 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I had the surgery done 2 years ago. Best thing I could of done. No problems at all. My hands are as strong now as ever. You should have no problems with operating a clutch.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

GF had two surgeries, one on each hand
Been riding three years since, no complaints

I imagine it's all about the cutter doing the job

Quick Reply: Any Riders with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?